Council's litter purge goes undercover!

Originally posted by Sidla

There should be more bins. To put litter in bins people have to go out of their way, which people aren't prepared to do.

I think I've said this before, but on my walk into uni, I pass about 2 bins which are both near the football ground. I don't like dropping litter but when there's no bins along my route sometimes the only alternative is to keep the rubbish until I arrive at uni 15mins later. This is incredibly annoying and I could forgive people who aren't prepared to do this.

The lack of bins of course is relevant, however in this situation I still dont throw it on the floor. There lies one of the problems people are just bloody lazy and have to have an excuse for their actions (full bin). I hold on to rubbish until I find a bin and usually there is one not far away. I wish they would be even more strict with litter bugs but if you go to town you will without doubt always see at least one litter bug. Also watch people kick cans etc with an empty bin 2 yards away but of course its not your can so why should you put it in the bin.

Originally posted by matsalleh

I wondered about this on the £35 bus inspectors malarkey.

Does anyone know the legality of all this.How about on the spot fines for queue jumpers,missed hospital appointments,looking ugly,jay walking etc,etc.

I think the £35 fine from bus inspectors will be interesting.

In the Capital the situation is slightly different a hit squad of inspectors will board a bus with the Police in tow to check tickets etc in Sheffield this will prove to be a risky business unless the Police board as well.

Originally posted by d71146

I think the £35 fine from bus inspectors will be interesting.

Off topic, but the £35 is not a fine. It is the standard fare - i.e. the fare payabe by anyone who chose not to pay the "discounted" fare available from the driver.

I would expect the police to deal with the matter in the same way as they would deal with someone who won't pay a taxi fare or reastraunt bill.

Why do we have to find an excuse for what is just lazyness? this 'rubbish' is hardly going to weigh us down for a few minutes until we find a bin.

we can't just park anywhere because the council don't provide enough car parks, ok we pay for the bins and should expect them to be present where we can find them but a bit of self discipline goes a long way, we can all do our bit.

You only have to look at Devonshire Green, or should I say Chavonshire Green to realise what a litter problem we have in this city. Despite numerous bins and a council park warden who spends half his week on the Green people treat it like a tip and it looks a mess half the time - people seem to throw litter anywhere.

meh, luckily i dont live in sheffield,

whenever i do go to sheffield i litter it as much as i can,

why? because i hate the council.

Originally posted by caprice

I do hope you are kidding.

nope

the council are a bunch of advantage taking *****.

Originally posted by khizman

nope

the council are a bunch of advantage taking *****.

And what do you base this judgement on? I must admit, the council are not on my Christmas card list, but I wouldnt deliberately drop litter as the council don't suffer, its the public who do, the ones who have to wade through it.

You don't think the council officials will care about your discarded crisp packet? They're not walking on Sheffield's streets, they're driving on our roads and doing the exact thing that they tell us we shouldn't do (drive).... They dont want their shoes dirtying and neither do I.

Your protest goes un noticed by the council and is nothing other than dirty and inconsiderate. Hopefully some likeminded person will return the favour in whatever area you live in.

Originally posted by caprice

And what do you base this judgement on? I must admit, the council are not on my Christmas card list, but I wouldnt deliberately drop litter as the council don't suffer, its the public who do, the ones who have to wade through it.

You don't think the council officials will care about your discarded crisp packet? They're not walking on Sheffield's streets, they're driving on our roads and doing the exact thing that they tell us we shouldn't do (drive).... They dont want their shoes dirtying and neither do I.

Your protest goes un noticed by the council and is nothing other than dirty and inconsiderate. Hopefully some likeminded person will return the favour in whatever area you live in.

yeah well,

this is what happened,

My mum had an accident and she hit a signpost (one of those ones that have an arrow pointing right) it wasnt a hard hit, maybe 20mph, the car was battered, and the post was at an angle of maybe 10 degrees. The post itself was undamaged though. All they had to do to repair it was push it back up and fill in the hole on the ground, and thats all they did.

The insurance company didnt pay out (lets not go into details on that).

Guess how much they charged us for the repair?

Whilst I have every sympathy for what happened to your Mother and can 100% understand your vendetta against the council, deliberately littering the pavement will not change anything. If anything, it'll only cost you more in the long run if these council ambassadors catch up with you.