6 months jail for killing own daughter with prayers

So you think people should be allowed to do whatever they want as long as they "believe" in it?

you didnt take the time to read that at all did you :rant:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/americas/8294225.stm

6 months jail for causing the death of their own daughter by praying for her rather than calling an ambulance.

Totally outrageous. Do people think this jail term is too light, or should people be allowed to seek 'spiritual' healing?

What a strange sentence. One month each in jail for the next six years. The photo is rather unsettling as well as they both appear to be grinning.

I'm torn when it comes to these situations. On the one hand, I don't want the government getting too involved in peoples' religious beliefs, but on the other hand, I don't want children dying from treatable illnesses, either.

It's just not cut and dried for me.

Any right minded person should be sickened at this. Talk of people's beliefs, government meddling are all very well, but simply do not apply in this case.

This is just the sort of behaviour that gives reason to people like Richard Dawkins who condemn religion as not just a harmless belief in fairy tales, but a malignant danger upon society.

These parents are guilty of murder in my eyes. They could have saved their daughter, but refused to. Maybe they could get away with dimished responsibility as they are obvioulsy insane.

I hope this doesn't come across as a rant, but I find this sickening.

I am really devout in my faith, but if one of my kids becomes ill then it is off to the doctors with them. Lets face it - if there is a god then he obviously gave us doctors to take some of the burden off his miracle working time.

Doctors weren't "given" to us they are clearly the result of intense and difficult human effort to throw off superstition and actually find out how the world (and human beings) actually work. Which is why doctors who are actually of any real use have only been in existance for a few hundred years out of the hundreds of thousands we've been around.

The photo is rather unsettling as well as they both appear to be grinning.
Probably from relief that they got away with child murder, they're not so green as they're cabbage looking! That level of belief in divine intervention is a form of mental illness imo. Very sad that an entire roomful of people can be so deluded that not one cried a halt and phoned for medical attention. :help:

Doctors weren't "given" to us they are clearly the result of intense and difficult human effort to throw off superstition and actually find out how the world (and human beings) actually work. Which is why doctors who are actually of any real use have only been in existance for a few hundred years out of the hundreds of thousands we've been around.

Stop trying to start an argument. I was making the statement with regards to those of a religious mind - not for the general person who goes to church on a sunday if they can be bothered or not at all. We know all about doctors having to spend years training etc. Sheesh! Some of you are just out for a good old scrap and set on taking everything the wrong way.

I was also stating that although my own faith in a supreme being is verging on the fanatical - I would still take my ill child to see a doctor.

Go and start your arguing elsewhere with someone else cos I have seen your rants and really cannot be bothered.

Dragon of Ana

we can but some jumped up little greenie PC wheeling sprout ! will say different :roll:
if were going to go into the realm of name calling you little brained halfwit you would realise that british law states people are free to worship as they like,ask the jeovo's

if were going to go into the realm of name calling you little brained halfwit you would realise that british law states people are free to worship as they like,ask the jeovo's

obviously your wit or brain is as minuscule as your manhood get a grip and read it as meant :roll:

Do you think it acceptable that people are allowed to worship how they like if that worship directly causes the death of an individual?

Freedom of Religion is guaranteed under the first amendment of our constitution however, that doesn't give parents the license to endanger their children because they are religious kooks.

With regard to the sentencing, I feel something a bit more harsh was in order but it would have to be weighed against the damage it might do to the remaining children to be taken from their parents. (Of course, if they were taken away, it might give someone the chance to sort out their scrambled brains so they don't end up like their folks).

Do you think it acceptable that people are allowed to worship how they like if that worship directly causes the death of an individual?

i didnt make the rules but for clarity i will say there are several reasons i no longer follow religion, muppets that dont have the sense to call a doctor bieng one of them