Punk / metal bands from Sheff between 1986 - 1996

Maybe I'm just becoming an old fart.

They do say we all end up turning into our dads in the end and claiming that all new music is crap.

The only "new" band I really love is Nightwish,and I've gone off them a bit since Tarja Turunen left.

I'm probably stuck in a time warp but what the hell,I still listen to the Stranglers (one of the great loves of my life), and Led Zep and still enjoy it.

Haha, well I didn't want to say anything :)

Oh and by the way, we've remixed Hugh Cornwell...

Haha, well I didn't want to say anything :)

Oh and by the way, we've remixed Hugh Cornwell...

cool

was he in prison?

did he know you had?

lol

cool

was he in prison?

Nope

did he know you had?

Yeah, he gave tBd the parts, Ken gets on with him pretty well - he was happy with all work tBd did for him :)

Saw Hugh about a year and a half ago when he played the Expo cafe in Hannover,it was the first time I'd seen him since he left the band in 1991.

We had a chat about old times,on one memorable occasion Hugh and John (Jean Jaques),debagged a bloke who'd been gobbing at Sheffield city hall,then Cornwell rammed one of my dad's chocolate eclairs up his backside,(My dad was a baker before retiring and the band asked me for a couple of dozen eclairs for the Sheffield gig,the rest were eaten normally!).

Following the Stranglers around on tour was many things but dull wasn't one of them!

Saw Hugh about a year and a half ago when he played the Expo cafe in Hannover,it was the first time I'd seen him since he left the band in 1991.

We had a chat about old times,on one memorable occasion Hugh and John (Jean Jaques),debagged a bloke who'd been gobbing at Sheffield city hall,then Cornwell rammed one of my dad's chocolate eclairs up his backside,(My dad was a baker before retiring and the band asked me for a couple of dozen eclairs for the Sheffield gig,the rest were eaten normally!).

Following the Stranglers around on tour was many things but dull wasn't one of them!

do you remember deano?

he used to roadie for the stranglers i believe or at least followed em about.......never knew him much, he died in police custody just after i started hanging around the peace gardens......87 ish (i still have the star cutting of it)

he had a shaved head, and always wore a hooded black cloak

edit:- and my best mate jools (dwarf) was a heavy stranglers fan, waltzin black was played at his funeral and a letter read out by the band as they couldnt be there

I was at that gig, although for some reason I had that event pegged at the Lyceum not the City Hall - good gig and cake action tho :)

do you remember deano?

he used to roadie for the stranglers i believe or at least followed em about.......never knew him much, he died in police custody just after i started hanging around the peace gardens......87 ish (i still have the star cutting of it)

he had a shaved head, and always wore a hooded black cloak

edit:- and my best mate jools (dwarf) was a heavy stranglers fan, waltzin black was played at his funeral and a letter read out by the band as they couldnt be there

Yes I remember Deano very well,he certainly always had a shaved head,he wore a long leather coat most of the time.

He was never a roadie while I knew him though.

I didn't find out he had died until years later,it was John (Burnel) that told me.

Dean did a hell of a lot of drugs. Tiny (Ian Squires),who I went to a load of Stranglers gigs with,was a friend of his.

I was at that gig, although for some reason I had that event pegged at the Lyceum not the City Hall - good gig and cake action tho :)

It was definately the City Hall,I can remember dropping the eclairs off backstage with Stranglers road manager Bill Tuckey before the gig.

Bill sadly died a few years ago,he was a great bloke and always had time for the fans who followed the band around on tour.

The Lyceum gig was earlier,on the 1983 Feline tour with Taxi Girl as support band.

I've a feeling they may have played the Aural sculpture tour gig there too.

It was definately the City Hall,I can remember dropping the eclairs off backstage with Stranglers road manager Bill Tuckey before the gig.

Bill sadly died a few years ago,he was a great bloke and always had time for the fans who followed the band around on tour.

The Lyceum gig was earlier,on the 1983 Feline tour with Taxi Girl as support band.

I've a feeling they may have played the Aural sculpture tour gig there too.

Strange, I don't remember seeing them at the City Hall but I remember the buns so I must have, all the gigs around that time melted into one.

Was The Men In Black tour at Steeles/Roxy's?

The Raven tour was at the Top Rank (later the Roxy ?) ,the Meninblacktour was the Polytechnic Phoenix Hall on 18 feb 1981,as was the La Folie tour on 21 feb 1982,I've still got the passes and just checked the dates.

They played the City Hall twice as I remember but as not all passes etc have the venue on I'm not sure when,the Aural Sculpture tour was one I think.

There was a Sheffield rock/metal band called NIGHTRUN circa 85/86....they played a band competition gig at the City Hall in 86 and came 2nd.....anyone know what happened to them?

If i remember correctly i believe Nightrun became Roadhouse with Pete Willis , got the Roadhouse album on CD its quite good, fav track Tower or Love :thumbsup:

If i remember correctly i believe Nightrun became Roadhouse with Pete Willis , got the Roadhouse album on CD its quite good, fav track Tower or Love :thumbsup:

if nightrun played the city hall band competition in '86, i was there! it was one of my first gig reviews for radio sheffield.

my favourite band that night was the flexible penguins. i loved their song "reasons", and i liked the girl's voice.

:)