Punk / metal bands from Sheff between 1986 - 1996

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Black_Dog_Productions

ah i see the name now

QUOTE - "In 1995, Ed and Andy left Ken, who continued working as The Black Dog on his own for a while, releasing the solo album "Music for Adverts". With new management, and an increased vigour, Downie then teamed up with Steve 'Hotdog' Ash and Ross Knight. Though they completed over a dozen critically acclaimed remixes during this period, only one album was ever released "Unsavoury Products", which featured the talents of parisian beat poet 'Black Sifichi' on vocals. In 2001, Downie teamed up with Richard and Martin Dust, owners of the label "Dust Science Recordings". Since then, they have released five EPs and one full-length album, Silenced, on Dust Science [1], and have started to play live again. They released a single called Riphead on Soma, which will also be re-issuing the Parallel and the three Black Dog Productions EPs as 'Book of Dogma', to be released on March 26, 2007. The band are currently in the studio recording a new album for Soma Records entitled Radio Scarecrow."

didnt think you were originally in black dog...tbh :P

errrrrrrrrm

somas a top class big techno label too

1.Depends who's mixing, have you ever seen anyone with real skills on the decks and a mixer?

2. Of course it's viable music, you don't get to choose what's viable but that's some moral high ground you get right there.

1: No,I'm 46 I was a punk in the 70's,a bit of a rocker in the 80's and my idea of a dj is somebody who plays other peoples records rather than hog the limelight.

Each to his own,fair enough.

2: I can't agree that taking the option of remixing someone elses stuff is viable music,I don't say that the person remixing is not talented,only that it is the easy option.

1: No,I'm 46 I was a punk in the 70's,a bit of a rocker in the 80's and my idea of a dj is somebody who plays other peoples records rather than hog the limelight.

Each to his own,fair enough.

2: I can't agree that taking the option of remixing someone elses stuff is viable music,I don't say that the person remixing is not talented,only that it is the easy option.

ive tried to get into mixing (although my mixers dead now :( ) it really does take years of hard work, practise, dedication and an ear for music

djs have moved on since the likes of jimmy saville and even john peel :P

djs have moved on since the likes of jimmy saville and even john peel

Of course,but if I were to go into a club I would want to hear the dj play the stuff I play at home.

A good dj should be like a good ref,anonymous,not the centre of attention.

talking of such things i know theres been a lot of sheffield based "dance" artists over the years, most prolly come in around 1990 / 1992 so fit into my site :)

still trying to find the 2 tuff little unit 12"s i used to have back in the day :(

i used to know one of em (glenroy i think?)

then theres winston and parrot (all seeing i, the funky worm among others)

i have a funky worm 7"......could rip that and include on my site (not sure itd be frowned upon tbh)

tricky disco, housemaster boys

LFO were from leeds i believe?

Each to his own,fair enough..

Most DJ's do play other peoples work, I don't understand your logic on this one as I've been clubbing for 20+ years and never really heard a techno DJ who's played nothing but his/her own records *puzzled* - it just doesn't happen.

Again this doesn't make much sense, have you ever tried to remix a track? On average it takes us 6 weeks to do a remix and it's often harder than coming up with a new track because you are working with someone else's work. There's nothing easy about it at all if you take your work seriously.

Judging from your answers it shows that you don't know much about the actual scene and please don't take that the wrong way but your replies simply don't reflect what happens.

Of course,but if I were to go into a club I would want to hear the dj play the stuff I play at home.

A good dj should be like a good ref,anonymous,not the centre of attention.

So you wouldn't want to be switched on the new tracks and artists? You'd just want to hear what you already know?

Again this doesn't make much sense, have you ever tried to remix a track? On average it takes us 6 weeks to do a remix and it's often harder than coming up with a new track because you are working with someone else's work. There's nothing easy about it at all if you take your work seriously.

Judging from your answers it shows that you don't know much about the actual scene and please don't take that the wrong way but your replies simply don't reflect what happens.

No I havent. Why is it neccessary though. Apart from the occasional cover version bands used to write their own stuff,why are remixes now so much in evidence? Easier than writing new stuff ? Why would a good track need remixing ? Cover versions are seldom anywhere near as good anyway.

Of course I don't know much about the "actual scene", I am,as an ex punk and rocker,still a regular at gigs etc but at 46 I would be a bit out of place among all the pill poppers in Berlin listening to westbam or whatever he is called now.

I am only commenting on the techno music I hear when working as security for a mate of mine,much of it seems to be the same few beats going on for ever,then after about 20 minutes you will get about 15 seconds of,say,golden brown,before it all kicks off again.

No I havent. Why is it neccessary though. Apart from the occasional cover version bands used to write their own stuff,why are remixes now so much in evidence? Easier than writing new stuff ? Why would a good track need remixing ? Cover versions are seldom anywhere near as good anyway.

Because if you are going to form such a strong opinion and express it, it does help if you're a little more informed about what you are talking about.

With regards to remixes, this has been around for a long time and if you look at it from a production values stand point, you may start to understand why.

Take Joy Division, look at what Martin Hannett did for their sound and structure, without him they would have been a very, very different band. This is the same role that you have when remixing a track, you are bringing your own production, music and values to the track, and if done right a new track pops out the end. You can't really apply the cover bands logic to this, it doesn't work like that at all. Please choose us to have us remix because they know our work and feel we can bring something different to the track.

Of course I don't know much about the "actual scene", I am,as an ex punk and rocker,still a regular at gigs etc but at 46 I would be a bit out of place among all the pill poppers in Berlin listening to westbam or whatever he is called now.

I am only commenting on the techno music I hear when working as security for a mate of mine,much of it seems to be the same few beats going on for ever,then after about 20 minutes you will get about 15 seconds of,say,golden brown,before it all kicks off again.

You wouldn't be that out of place at Berghain/Tresor/Watergate :)

I guess if you don't like the music that's fine but it's much more that a thumping 4x4 kick my fellow Blade ;)

You wouldn't be that out of place at Berghain/Tresor/Watergate :)

I guess if you don't like the music that's fine but it's much more that a thumping 4x4 kick my fellow Blade ;)

Maybe I'm just becoming an old fart.

They do say we all end up turning into our dads in the end and claiming that all new music is crap.

The only "new" band I really love is Nightwish,and I've gone off them a bit since Tarja Turunen left.

I'm probably stuck in a time warp but what the hell,I still listen to the Stranglers (one of the great loves of my life), and Led Zep and still enjoy it.