Punk / metal bands from Sheff between 1986 - 1996

Pete - some mistake surely.

Media Premonition, originally (ie in about 1980) constituted just Tim and Paul, and had a handful of brilliant songs that I can still remember. Such titles as: The End of Coronation Street; All the Young Pseuds; Physical Impossibility (which was about the pointlessness of hiding under your kitchen table to avoid being killed during a nuclear holocaust, almost what the Government was suggesting in its "Protect and Survive" leaflet - a song of its time indeed).

By 1986, MP would be in its third or fourth line up (was this when I was playing with them? - if so, I am very flattered to be counted in your top five gigs, and will trade you a "FCS at Frecheville in front of five people" as one of mine)

Terry

Not a well known band but my friend went out with a member of a rock band called teaser.They did a lot of covers and played in clubs and pubs bout 1990

I did a few gigs with Ian Spence (AKA Sid Snot Ian because of his leather jacket and leather cap). Ugly Americans was one band name, This Machine Kills another. We entered the battle of the bands a few times, just to get up on a stage in front of an audience - no matter how rubbish we were.

One memorable thing we did though, was organise a band night in the Maze Bar, where lucky punters got to see 16 bands for 50p (unless they performed, and got in for nowt).

I couldn't name any of the bands now, but I think I performed in three of em.

Pete - some mistake surely..........

By 1986, MP would be in its third or fourth line up (was this when I was playing with them? - if so, I am very flattered to be counted in your top five gigs, and will trade you a "FCS at Frecheville in front of five people" as one of mine)

Terry

yes, the line up was you and paul, and a keyboard player, tim i think and maybe someone else.

i bought the demo and played it to death in my first ever rented room, in a house on khartoum road.....tracks like church of pain, targets, trends in advertising etc

:thumbsup:

anyone who wants to hear an early fcs rehearsal, recorded on mik's girlfriend's binatone tape recorder, can upload here:

http://www.freewebs.com/story_of_the_fcs/music.htm

click the link on this page...it's a three minute track written by fcs....with introductions to all the band members from mik diggin!

keep on rockin'

yes, the line up was you and paul, and a keyboard player, tim i think and maybe someone else.

i bought the demo and played it to death in my first ever rented room, in a house on khartoum road.....tracks like church of pain, targets, trends in advertising etc

That would be when we started with a rip roaring Scapegoat ("Are you scapegoater or scapegoatee?") which I could never quite get my fingers around.

As well as the four you mentioned (Tim played lead guitar, the keyboard player was called Matt something (Priestley??)) there was a drummer - who was using M:P as a convenient practice band before going off to bigger and better obscurity.

He had a little van though, which was useful.

I think we only did two gigs in that guise, but it did lead to the birth of the Atheist Militia, when Matt P and the drummer left, and Matty K joined. We had a gig commitment as M:P and had to fill it so we wrote 8 songs on a Sunday, played them on the Monday (or in my case, played 7 of them, but played one of them twice because I played a whole song playing the wrong riff without knowing it), changed our name to the Nihilistics the week after and eventually dragged you in to make us sound half decent.

T

I've had a great time reading and looking at some of the pics. I was a good friend of Mick the drummer from Slopdosh. I remember seeing them in Nottingham i think supporting the Macc lads. I bought 2 souvenirs that day, No sheep til buxton on 12" and an ice-cream cone of **** pin badge. Ernest Jennings come and get your keys cut....... if anyone knows Mick say Hi for me i haven't seen him since early 90's.

That would be when we started with a rip roaring Scapegoat ("Are you scapegoater or scapegoatee?") which I could never quite get my fingers around......

T

that was another classic, also on that cherished demo of mine!

did you ever do friendship preferred, or was that a tim and paul solo project?

:)

we've mentioned the legendary bbc radio sheffield local music presenter nick reynolds a few times here.

nick was also responsible for running dolebusters, with me and lou gob****e acting as two of his sidekicks.

in fact the whole music scene fell apart in 1989 when he left sheffield!

but before going, i wrote a load of comedy hip-hop tracks with him, and we recorded tham at red tape.

we even got offered a distribution deal!

you can hear one of the tracks here....scroll down till you get to the paragraph which says "NOT the fcs":

http://www.freewebs.com/story_of_the_fcs/music.htm

music copyright street beat pete (tha's me) 1988

lyrics copyright nick reynolds 1988 (that's nick)

produced by pete **** (that's also me)

that was another classic, also on that cherished demo of mine!

did you ever do friendship preferred, or was that a tim and paul solo project?

:)

I think so.

One of my favourite performances was when Paul did a series of duets with different people upstairs at the Hallamshire - I played guitar sat on the stage while he sang the End of Coronation Street. One of the reviews said "Coronation Street will last a lot longer than you" - or words to that effect.

He did a good job of cutting up a Billy Graham speech for Church of Pain.

'No - you come back and talk to me when I'm straight'.

I'd really love to get hold of our cover of Sugar Sugar in some condition or another.

Si' Ive got this for you check my post acouple of pages back

Pete,

How do you do the quote thing so it appears in a blue box. I'm very stupid and can't seem to work it out.

I also liked the Masons. They had a song called Bitter and twisted, very witty and slightly sick lyric.