Energy Saving Lightbulbs V's Traditional Old Bulbs

Two questions I need answers to are will they work when operated by a dimmer switch and do they work in the touch lamps that have three brightness settings. I know they didn't work with the touch lamps but maybe the technology has improved. I suspect I may have to fit a ssmall sttrip light in the bathroom. If I have to buy new lamps and put in strip lights are the government going to re-imburse me I wonder?

Okay that's three questions.

No, they don't work with dimmer switches.

I've bought a pack of 10 small frosted bulbs for our two touchlamps, which will see me out.

I have also bought frosted bulbsfor the rooms which don't suit the neon bulbs

We have several neon bulbs where the lamp shades give them a warm light and are on most of the evening.

However,

I think the light these neons give is blooming depressing.

I'll have 100w and above bayonet pearl bulbs for a limited time, but they're going fast. Stockists and retailers are allowed to sell out their existing stock. I've also got 100w pearl in standard screw fitting.

PM me if you want to order any, Woodseats area.

Energy saving bulbs are useless for instant quick light up of a room or area and I have dimmer switches in EVERY room (well not bathroom) so ot only will i have to buy more expensive bulbs, but also replace my dimmer switches?? Thanx EU!

Energy saving bulbs are useless for instant quick light up of a room or area and I have dimmer switches in EVERY room (well not bathroom) so ot only will i have to buy more expensive bulbs, but also replace my dimmer switches?? Thanx EU!
You can get dimmer energy saver bulbs, you know.

But why not just get a stock of the ones you use now that'll last you for a few years? It's not going to be illegal to use them, just to import, manufacture or sell them. At the moment it's only 100w anyway.

I disagree strongly with this. We have some CFLs that are slow to brighten, but we have others that are just fine. It depends on the brand and type. Unfortunately, B&Q and others insist on stocking only the 'warm' white ones, which seem pretty poor to me alongside the 'cool' or 'daylight' varieties.

The OP is sensationalist and ignorant, and fails to recognise the health effects of pollution from burning 5-8 times as much fuel for the same light with yesterday's bulbs!

Instant-on, high-brightness filament bulbs are, and will remain, available as direct plug-in replacements for the old-fashioned filament bulbs. See here: http://www.bltdirect.com/products.php?cat=2078&nm=Energy+Saving+Halogen+Lamps . They are called halogen bulbs, and can be found easily. They are not as efficient as CFLs, but will satisfy you and are a bit cheaper to run. So you see, you are completely wrong, and so is the OP! :D

Anyway, LED bulbs are now available from places like John Lewis, and although expensive at the moment, will obviously become cheap as chips very quickly. These offer better than 40 years of continuous use, with instant-on full-brightness, dimmable and slightly better efficiency than CFLs.

As far as your dimmer switches are concerned, you can get replacement switches for less than 30p each in B&Q, so stop moaning!

Well done EU, it's about time! :):clap::banana:

Edited by Dhimmi

the low energy bulbs in the rooms we have them are indistinguisable from the old standards, which rooms do you have them in?

sorry just re read, you havnt got them.

You don't have to put up with minature halogen ones. There are direct replacements: http://www.bltdirect.com/products.php?cat=2078&nm=Energy+Saving+Halogen+Lamps :)

yeah i was using minature to mean not the 500W floodlight jobbies, somebody will no doubt claim even they arn`t bright enough LOL

yeah i was using minature to mean not the 500W floodlight jobbies, somebody will no doubt claim even they arn`t bright enough LOL
Oh right - I thought you meant the little dichroic reflector types.

Do you really think in the long run it is going to save you money. The electricity companies will put costs up to compensate for us using less electricity, its a no win situation, in my opinion.

And do people really think if we all use low energy bulbs it is going to save the planet. If we stopped air travel and space travel it may be more likely.

That's correct of course, but 150w and 200w bulbs have already disappeared from the shops, and all filament bulbs will apparently be banned from 2011.
Not true. Cartwright Electrical on Banner Cross Road still sell 150W and 200W filament bulbs, get them while you can :thumbsup: It's all totally above board and legal too as it's old stock.

Not true. Cartwright Electrical on Banner Cross Road still sell 150W and 200W filament bulbs, get them while you can :thumbsup: It's all totally above board and legal too as it's old stock.
I've still got stocks of 200/150w as well as 100w and although it's now illegal to import or manufacture those wattages, as Alastair says, stockists and retailers can continue to sell them whilst stocks last. Which probably wont be that long, as none have been imported or manufactured for about 2 years, afaik.