Who is highest ranking taekwondo person in south yorkshire

I 've been doing the 540 turning kick since about 1994 when I saw it on a VMA martial arts video and then I sort of taught myself to do it by trial and error :).

I taught myself the 540 hook in about 1999 which is much more difficult a guy called Rob Mailhammer from Germany helped me refine it at Andy Hills club in Hillsborough.

Back in 2002 myself, Dave Wood and Andy Hill (plus others by invite) used to hire a hall at Killamarsh Leisure centre to train on advanced kicks we called it the 540 club lol

We would throw ourselves about for an hour or so doing jump kicks and 540s etc fall over a lot ....then go for a pint!

PS I have not mastered them yet there's always room for improvement, especially the 540 hook its very difficult to hit with power with it unless you practice it a lot. Heres an example of a korean doing it

He has mastered it!

Edited by ox ma

nice one. have you tried the 720?

in theory the basic 540 shouldnt be too difficult, i suppose its all about momentum and speed. but in practice it must take some effort to transform from the 360 to the 540 to keep the kicking leg off the floor - thats if iv understood the technique right

The basic 540 is not too bad you need to get it in your head not to land on the normal leg you would land on but twist the hips round and land on the kicking foot.

I have not tried the 720 it looks difficult due to the amount of spins.I have just started doing jump kicks again as I had a bad injury for the past year(I snapped my achillies tendon 16 stone and jump kicks don't mix well lol).

With regard to this discussion relating to south yorks TKD. I find it a little disappointing these days that there are so few adults training in TKD. There are loads of clubs, but training suitable for aduts is sparse.

Please feel free to comment on clubs with a good adult base, especially any around Mexborough, Swinton, Roth, Dearne Valley.

I use to train with Pilsung under Andy Hill with the likes of Oxo above, Dave wood and Lee Mariot and some other really good fighters. Most of the clubs have a 50/50 adult attendance, but some of the younger members use to embarrass me when sparring, technically and ability.

I've been to Oxo's club a couple of times, but due to work haven't kept the training up. Just spoke to him earlier with regards to training again. I've also spoken to some of the other lads who say that more adults now train with him. This is better for the street cred. as it's not as bad if you get your ass kicked by an adult:blush:

• 3 weeks later...
With regard to this discussion relating to south yorks TKD. I find it a little disappointing these days that there are so few adults training in TKD. There are loads of clubs, but training suitable for aduts is sparse.

Please feel free to comment on clubs with a good adult base, especially any around Mexborough, Swinton, Roth, Dearne Valley.

The decline in adult training is partly due to Taekwondo being accepted into the Olympics. It is unfortunately a young mans sport which is driving away the older generation.

The same thing is happening in Korea, adults just are not training and those that are avoid the Olympic clubs.

Try to find a club outside the Olympic mandate, you will find a good mix of adults and children working together. Look for clubs with the BTC (British Taekwondo Council) They are the governing body for Taekwondo in the UK. There are some good clubs outside the governing body. Its your choice

Tony Quigley 7th dan who set up the first Taekwondo schools in Doncaster in 1968. If you trace most of the current Taekwondo masters lineage it will link back to him.

http://www.oxmartialarts.talktalk.net/Master%20Tony%20Quigley.pdf

See the article from a seventies Karate and Oriental Arts magazine.

Tony Quigley did indeed bring a variation of Taekwondo to south Yorkshire. He taught Tim Evans who opened a club at the Blind institute on Mapin Street. At first this was part of the BTA (British Taekwondo Alliance). This club produced among others Nick Maskrey (now 5th Dan). Nick went onto train the likes of Andy Hill (now 6th Dan) and Me Simon Green (5th Dan). At this time the association was the British Taekwondo Federation with its president Grand Master Kim Yong Ho (9th Dan). It disbanded when Grand Master Kim set up the World Mudo Academy. Nick and I stayed with Master Kim while Andy unfortunately left to join the British Taekwondo Control Board (BTCB)

"Tony Quigley did indeed bring a variation of Taekwondo"

The Taekwondo Tony Brought to the UK and Ireland in 1968 was the original taekwondo taught by the founders General Choi , Nam Tae Hi, Rhee Ki Ha etc

Tony was taught Taekwondo in Singapore at RAF Changi Airbase by the Koreans.

The UKTA was the first Taekwondo Association in the UK followed by the BTA (British Taekwondo Association) which later became the first WTF style association set up by Master Fred Lee. Tony transferred from the style now known as ITF to WTF as did many other Instructors when it was first established.

He was instructor to many of the people that joined the BTF David Sutherill, Susan Greaves and Craig Waddington to name a few.

The BTCB was established in 1982 and gained the WTF mandate becoming the official WTF group in the UK.

The BTF was established in 1988 by GM Kim Yong Ho which as you say became WTA World Taekwonmudo Academy.

Edited by ox ma