Who is highest ranking taekwondo person in south yorkshire

Good answer to Spider66's post.

Spider66 obviously condones people teaching crap hence his excuse as "well hes got a lot of members so he must be ok"

I dont know Mr Siddall personally so I cant comment but im being objective on what has been spoken.

if you re read my post i don't say "well hes got a lot of members so he must be ok" what i said was

'he runs a successful academy with quite a few members and has proberbly helped hundreds of students in various ways over the years'

And your not being objective your just trying to stirr up trouble :loopy:

You mention me condoning people teaching crap - if you don't know him how do you know what he teaches ' how are you being objective.

Edited by spider66
added more

Like any sport there are the fakers, some of which i believe have been mentioned on this forum.:suspect:

The only person i can vouch for on this forum is oxo, aka ox ma. Great martial artist in the true sense and not only in Tae Kwon Do but other martial arts.:thumbsup:

The op asked who was the highest ranking TKD person in S Yorks and i believe ox ma has given a list. This doesn't mean that the highest is the best, but we'd better leave that arguement to the real masters themseves.:hihi:

Whilst this thread is in full swing, can I ask if anyone knows the guy who teaches at the english sports insitute at don valley on a wednesday night?

Yes mate I know him he's called Simon Turton 3rd dan with Pilsung Taekwondo he's a good all round Taekwondoist very flexible and a nice chap too!

He's the guy holding the pad for me this was back in 2002!

great kicks ox ma. how long did it take you to master them?

I 've been doing the 540 turning kick since about 1994 when I saw it on a VMA martial arts video and then I sort of taught myself to do it by trial and error :).

I taught myself the 540 hook in about 1999 which is much more difficult a guy called Rob Mailhammer from Germany helped me refine it at Andy Hills club in Hillsborough.

Back in 2002 myself, Dave Wood and Andy Hill (plus others by invite) used to hire a hall at Killamarsh Leisure centre to train on advanced kicks we called it the 540 club lol

We would throw ourselves about for an hour or so doing jump kicks and 540s etc fall over a lot ....then go for a pint!

PS I have not mastered them yet there's always room for improvement, especially the 540 hook its very difficult to hit with power with it unless you practice it a lot. Heres an example of a korean doing it

He has mastered it!

Edited by ox ma

nice one. have you tried the 720?

in theory the basic 540 shouldnt be too difficult, i suppose its all about momentum and speed. but in practice it must take some effort to transform from the 360 to the 540 to keep the kicking leg off the floor - thats if iv understood the technique right

The basic 540 is not too bad you need to get it in your head not to land on the normal leg you would land on but twist the hips round and land on the kicking foot.

I have not tried the 720 it looks difficult due to the amount of spins.I have just started doing jump kicks again as I had a bad injury for the past year(I snapped my achillies tendon 16 stone and jump kicks don't mix well lol).

With regard to this discussion relating to south yorks TKD. I find it a little disappointing these days that there are so few adults training in TKD. There are loads of clubs, but training suitable for aduts is sparse.

Please feel free to comment on clubs with a good adult base, especially any around Mexborough, Swinton, Roth, Dearne Valley.

I use to train with Pilsung under Andy Hill with the likes of Oxo above, Dave wood and Lee Mariot and some other really good fighters. Most of the clubs have a 50/50 adult attendance, but some of the younger members use to embarrass me when sparring, technically and ability.

I've been to Oxo's club a couple of times, but due to work haven't kept the training up. Just spoke to him earlier with regards to training again. I've also spoken to some of the other lads who say that more adults now train with him. This is better for the street cred. as it's not as bad if you get your ass kicked by an adult:blush:

there is a club at swinton that has a fairly even mix of adults and kids. the training is a broad mix of all the components of taekwondo including self defence and a small amount of weapons training.

With regard to this discussion relating to south yorks TKD. I find it a little disappointing these days that there are so few adults training in TKD. There are loads of clubs, but training suitable for aduts is sparse.

Please feel free to comment on clubs with a good adult base, especially any around Mexborough, Swinton, Roth, Dearne Valley.

The decline in adult training is partly due to Taekwondo being accepted into the Olympics. It is unfortunately a young mans sport which is driving away the older generation.

The same thing is happening in Korea, adults just are not training and those that are avoid the Olympic clubs.

Try to find a club outside the Olympic mandate, you will find a good mix of adults and children working together. Look for clubs with the BTC (British Taekwondo Council) They are the governing body for Taekwondo in the UK. There are some good clubs outside the governing body. Its your choice