Plague of Ladybirds in Cleethorpes

Did anyone else go to Cleethorpes yesterday, hundreds of ladybirds everywhere, never seen so many. Wondered what the reason was?

We were in Cley, North Norfolk last week, sat on the shingle beach during a lovely warm, sunny spell. We lasted an hour. There were ladybirds crawling all over us : in our hair, up our legs, on our faces and inside our clothes. I've never known it as bad.

At the same time, the marshland behind the dunes was full of the most beautiful butterflies - great clouds of them. One of the local residents said they had never known such a profusion of butterflies and said that it was the warm weather that had caused so many to breed.

Don't know whether it's been particularly warm in Cleethorpes or if this is just an east coast thing.

got loads in ingoldmells some one else that remembers 76 it was bad then as well

We nipped up there today so the dog could have a run on the doggy part of the beach. I have never seen so many. It was not too bad in the centre part but as you walk towards Grimsby along the beach we got covered by them! I ate one by mistake :gag: and the dog was covered in them :lol: Felt a bit sorry for some families who had screaming kids because of them though and some parts of the pavement are just covered in ladybird dead bodies. At least they are pretty :)

I've brought a few back on the car as that was covered in them too as they managed to stay attached on the motorway.

It was quite impressive really just glad they were the bugs that I like and not wasps!

its not just ladybids theres' some others flying things that look like hornets, there's also lots of butterflies over here in immingham just down rd from cleethorpes, we've had these for last few days as its really warm and humid here at the mo.

got loads in ingoldmells some one else that remembers 76 it was bad then as well

bad you were swimming in them lol

I was wondering where all the ladybirds were this year, certainly not in my garden :( I've not seen a single one!

There was a plague in North Norfolk too. We walked the coast path above Weybourne and there were millions of them - mostly dead I think. Any answers as to what is happening?

I saw one seven years ago in Baffin Island.