A good child psychologist in Sheffield

I got my child rerferred to Centenery House and she was allocated a CPN who tried to help but was out of her depth. We later got some family therapy there from a guy who looked like a garden gnome who was absolutely useless. We decided not to go back anfdgoing private would have been an option at that point.

I know you prefer to go privately but I just thought Id give my tuppenceworth

We were reffered to centenary house a few years ago and it was a total waste of time we too had the 'garden gnome guy' and I always said if we needed it again I would go privately

things went ok for a while then for reasons I wont go into publicly he had BIG problems earlier this year and in desperation I took him to ryegate - no appointment just took him.

Anyway to cut it short we were reffered to camhs at flockton house (nether edge) and they're fantastic.

I was told by the child psychologist that if ever we were desperate again to go straight to the a&e at the childrens as they have psych nurses on duty 24/7 and theyre very good.

If its your experience with your gp thats putting you off using nhs I would recommend ringing camhs and asking for their advice . They may let you self refer OR they may have a list of private ones.

Edited by piskeymax
my letter T keeps missing !!!

I got my child rerferred to Centenery House and she was allocated a CPN who tried to help but was out of her depth. We later got some family therapy there from a guy who looked like a garden gnome who was absolutely useless. We decided not to go back anfdgoing private would have been an option at that point.

Did the garden gnome guy have grey hair?

I know you feel you want to go private but you could be going from frying pan to fire. There are many who set themselves up as therapists without any qualifications. A badly qualified or un qualified psychologist can do your child serious damage. I think you should change your GP and I think you should seek referral through your school. I have had experience of this and have no complaints about the help we received for our child.

So why do you need one? Let me hazard a guess here. Naughty boy/girl, not your fault that he/she behaves the way he/she does. Ther must be something 'wrong' with him/her, nothing to do with upbringing. We need a label (excuse) to explain it!

I think this is the reason that even if you are going to see someone private and "paying" for it, you still need to be refered by either your GP or the hospital the same way you have to be refered if you go to see a private consultant for any other ailment.

If you take your child to see someone who doesn't need this referal you could be putting your child in mental danger as no reputable psycologist would do so.

Did the garden gnome guy have grey hair?

I cant remember if our 'gnome' did but his name was peter if that helps

So why do you need one? Let me hazard a guess here. Naughty boy/girl, not your fault that he/she behaves the way he/she does. Ther must be something 'wrong' with him/her, nothing to do with upbringing. We need a label (excuse) to explain it!

Shut up you idiot. You know nothing.

We have an NHS for a reason you know, ask your GP?

Why cant everyone accept i just want to see a private one?

Thanks for the advice from most of you, keep the recomndations coming as i need to make the absoloute right choice and to the ones who think im some sort of freak for not wanting to use the nhs, thanks for the advice but no thanks.

I cant remember if our 'gnome' did but his name was peter if that helps

Oh no different guy ours was called robin and he was actually really good but not sure if hes left now though.

Why cant everyone accept i just want to see a private one?

Thanks for the advice from most of you, keep the recomndations coming as i need to make the absoloute right choice and to the ones who think im some sort of freak for not wanting to use the nhs, thanks for the advice but no thanks.

If you want to go privately as i agree it is better if you need to see someone straight away get on thornbury website and im sure they will have some there who you can see who will probably see children too

Whoever you decide to choose, you're best off checking they are Chartered, using the British Psychological Association website (not allowed to post a link but it's www dot bps dot co dot uk) - search for Find A Psychologist