Growing up in Beighton

Dave Berry and the Cruisers were on at the Southview Skegness last week.

I went to see them at Frecheville Community Centre in 1961, bloody hell, gets coat. :(

I went to see them at Frecheville Community Centre in 1961, bloody hell, gets coat. :(

We were asked to 'cheer' for them at a sort of battle of the bands in Sheffield at one of the cinemas. I'm sure we were still in school so it must have been the early 60's. When Dave & the Cruisers came on, my friend and I stood up and screamed as loud as we could, only to be told to 'sit down & shut up' by the kids in the row in front! Talk about embarrassing. Groupies...we were not. I don't think the band won, they were up against all Sheffield bands (and their fans) like the Gray Cats..Stray Cats?

My brother and I went to the City Hall to see Jerry Lee Lewis...mid 60's? Great show. I didn't go to another concert until The Rolling Stones-Steel Wheels Tour in 1989-now that was worth waiting for.

Dave Berry and the Cruisers were on at the Southview Skegness last week.

I saw him at the Rock at Maltby earlier this year and at The Frontier at Batley, he is still very good, I enjoyed his performance and still the same old songs.....

I saw him at the Rock at Maltby earlier this year and at The Frontier at Batley, he is still very good, I enjoyed his performance and still the same old songs.....

Happy to hear that's he's still singing the same old Rock songs.....somebody told me that he'd gone 'Neil Diamond'. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.)

Happy to hear that's he's still singing the same old Rock songs.....somebody told me that he'd gone 'Neil Diamond'. (Not that there's anything wrong with that.)

Not heard that, he sang all the songs from The Cying game album and lots of his old songs, he's playing on 24th July at the Burntwood Festival, Nr Lichfield Midlands (Backed by New Amen Corner). He is very busy with gigs which include many of the 60s bands.

Not heard that, he sang all the songs from The Cying game album and lots of his old songs, he's playing on 24th July at the Burntwood Festival, Nr Lichfield Midlands (Backed by New Amen Corner). He is very busy with gigs which include many of the 60s bands.

Are you going to that gig? Do they still play the old Chuck Berry songs? (His namesake.) I don't know any of the latest singers or songs.

I like the "Blues" and even some 'Bluegrass". My iTunes collections are all over the globe, from Nina Simone to early Tom Waits, with some kick-ass Rock 'n Roll in between I've taken a liking to Teddy Thompson so I guess I like some 'country', too. Well, the early rock was based on 'country' and the blues. Enjoy the concert!

Can anyone remember Mrs Hardy, the wife of the headmaster, she teached English in the top corner room of the wooden classrooms. I remember playing guitar in assembly and someone (I forget who) played a snare drum. It must have sounded awful. Frank Miles lived 3 doors up from me, he played a double headed guitar for Dave Berry, Chuck Fowler lived next door, he was very successful on the club circuit. Can anyone remember the young boy who died with a face cancer? I think his surname was cooper, very sad.

Yes, I remember Mrs Hardy well. We lived close by the school house on School Road but I did not know she taught English at one time. I met her son Charles few years ago, after about a 48 year gap on a visit back to Beighton. I also seem to recall vaguely the name of the Cooper boy; really tragic indeed. I always remember him once coming in to Trevor Hardwick's dads shop on High street once when his face was really bad. After that time I never saw him again. I think he also lived on School Road, can anyone confirm that? I never knew him at school or socially, but I think he was a bit younger than me. I think Dave Berry's mother lived on School Road at one time also?

Has everyone/anyone on this thread seen the 'Our Beighton' Celebrating a Community book put out by Eventus, Sheffield, a few years ago? No publishing date was provided. This has some excellent personal stories from times past. There is a very moving poem in there by a Michael Schofield on the famous 41 steps; has anyone seen that? Does Michael still live in Beighton? I did not know him.

At the same time, Eventus put out an excellent web site, Our Beighton, with some wonderful audio reminiscences of old Beighton. This was great to hear lots of people I knew from 50 years ago, most now no longer with us. Unfortunately the site is not available any more. I tried to find it on the Way Back archive web site and that has got some text on it, but no audio records. Does anyone know if this site might be reactivated? I have a CD of the recording of my mother, which Eventus sent me, but not the complete site audio record.

I used to frequently visit the website, I think it was looked after by funding, and as this stopped the website was taken down. The book is still available. There were some amazing pictures, it's a real shame that it came to an end. It is the website that brought me back to Beighton to see the memorial of the pit disaster, my uncle Maurice was in that, his name is on the plaque, Maurice Parkin. He married my mothers sister Olive and they had a paper shop. They moved to spilsby many years ago.

You may know my cousins, Trevor and Rita williams????

I used to frequently visit the website, I think it was looked after by funding, and as this stopped the website was taken down. The book is still available. There were some amazing pictures, it's a real shame that it came to an end. It is the website that brought me back to Beighton to see the memorial of the pit disaster, my uncle Maurice was in that, his name is on the plaque, Maurice Parkin. He married my mothers sister Olive and they had a paper shop. They moved to spilsby many years ago.

You may know my cousins, Trevor and Rita williams????

Don't think I recall a T and RW though. Yes, the book is excellent. I called Eventus a year ago and was told the site might get restored. I should call again, if other people ask also maybe it will get done.

Did any of you grow up in Beighton during the early 50's 60's? Did you go to Beighton infants / Juniors? Brookhouse Secondary modern? Do you remember any of the old shops in Beighton like the shoe repair shop on High street, or Mr Staniforth's clock and watch repairs next to Hall's television shop? What about the fairs that used to come to Beighton at the same time each year? The rides were 6d and one year me and my friend Marilyn Lancaser went potato picking to get some money for the fair - we finished up with 10/- Fantastic!! Loads of money to go on whatever we wanted!! Farrer's were one fairground family......they had been coming to Beighton for years. Did any of you go to the youth club in the church hall with Mr Durham? ........and the Saturday night dances which cost 6d or 1shilling if I remember rightly..in the church hall?

JuneLambert

I well remember Jack Freeman's bike shop on High Street bottom, where I bought my first decent bike. I don't really remember if Jean Freeman, who I went to school with, was in same family or not as Jack but I discovered in 2006 Jean was retired and living in Spain (then Jean Sheil). I was planning to visit sometime thereafter. Then I heard she was tragically killed there by a drunk driver November 2007, in case anyone remembers Jean.

Do you have a sister by the name of Linda?

I do have a sister but she is 9yrs older than me and not called Linda

Yes you were in the same class as me well at least from the second year till finish.

I lived down souter on cross allen rd

Yes still living in Beighton reitred and widower, saw Mick Unwin the other week doesnt seem to change.

Other names I remeber are Derek Wyres, Dave Grundhill, Lesile Ratford, Jean Hepplestone