Phone calls from debt companies

If they're withholding their number (1471 says "the caller withheld their number") then you can block them, and all callers who withhold their number, by asking BT to turn on their Anonymous Call Rejection feature. It costs just under a fiver a month.

If 1471 says "we do not have the callers number" then I think ACR won't block it.

Alternatively there's a rather neat call screening device called TrueCall that will block withheld numbers. For callers whose number it gets but does not recognise, it asks their name, puts them on hold, rings your phone and asks if you want to talk to them. It does cost a one-off £80 though. It needs Caller ID enabled on your line, which is free with BT's Privacy at Home option.

I have started getting the automaton calls. Now when I pick up the phone, I won't speak until the caller says something. I press the 'talk to someone' option on these calls then put the phone down for a while. Driving me mad. Why should I pay a fiver a month to stop this?

I have started getting the automaton calls. Now when I pick up the phone, I won't speak until the caller says something. I press the 'talk to someone' option on these calls then put the phone down for a while. Driving me mad. Why should I pay a fiver a month to stop this?

because nobody douse anything for nothing, and its getting on your nerves other wise you have to put up with it but i agree if you are paying bt line rental they should keep it clean for you

The main problem with these calls is that if you answer then put the phone down without talking, this is registered on their system that you answered. They will then continue to phone you especially at the same time the next day and so on. If you can find out the number of who is calling you, use the website who calls me to find out who it is, then report them to oft and offcom for telephone harrasment. If you are with BT they have a service called choose to refuse which can block so many numbers. BTW the TPS service will stop cold calling but if these silent calls are from debt companies etc, it won't stop them - even if the debt is not yours as we tried explaining to them so many times when they were phoning us. I needed a new phone anyway so ended up getting one that had a call barring facility on it - cost me £40 for the phone but is worth every penny!

Edited by dogs4life

i take it TPS dont work then!

i have never had any problems once i have registered with TPS - it does take about 6 weeks before the calls completely stop

The Telephone Preference Service (TPS) is a central opt out register whereby individuals can register their wish not to receive unsolicited sales and marketing telephone calls. It is a legal requirement that companies do not make such calls to numbers registered on the TPS.

The original legislation was introduced in May 1999. It has subsequently been updated and now the relevant legislation is the Privacy and Electronic (EC Directive) Regulations 2003.

Who can register?

The term individual includes consumers at their residential address, sole traders and, except in Scotland, partnerships.

How long will it take to become effective?

Once a number has been registered it will become effective in 28 days.

Is there any charge for registering?

No, it's free to register on the TPS.

Who pays for TPS?

No money is received from the Government to run the Service, the direct marketing industry pays for it.