Local Labour MP living in a £450K country estate

there are a number of people on here talking complete and utter tripe and its not hsb98c. of course, that's nothing personal.

the point has been made previously and needs to be made again. not all MPs are corrupt or on the fiddle. in fact the vast majority have done nothing wrong.

it is not a highly paid job in comparison to the work and the importance of the job. there is an old saying which links monkeys to peanuts. there is also a saying about getting the politicians we deserve. well we've got the media we deserve, and because we've got the media we deserve we've got the country we deserve.

and Messrs Blunkett and Betts do more to represent this city, than any of the negative, empty headed tripe talkers on this forum. if you think you can do a better job, go and get yourself elected. do it instead of sitting at your computer and making ill-informed comments.

I have to say, that as my local MP, Clive Betts has always been very good.

Let's face it, he bought a £250K cottage (just around the corner from me); hardly a country estate by any stretch of the imagination. In fact most of the 4 bed detached houses in the area are worth at least that.

I think a lot of posters on here are afflicted by the green eyed monster.

To be honest I wouldnt trust any of them as far as I could throw them, no

matter which party they belong to its just one big dinner at our expense.

Trying hard... right from you first comment on my post. My view that if people feel strongly about issues in this country and to do something about it is tripe. Glad your not in charge.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, but your viewpoint is that all MPs are on the fiddle? That each one should be thrown out because the papers say so? Not looking at each case on it's merits and understanding the background to why each item was claimed for?

I'm not saying wrongs haven't been done, and I'm defiantly NOT trying to defend those who have done wrong. But one for all and all for one? Every MP is on the fiddle because 5-10-15% of them have done it?

That's what I'm trying to understand, why people think they are ALL on the fiddle.

There you go again, with the pompous attitude.

Accusing me of something I did not say, then trying to legitimise it with a question mark. Once you have thrown the accusation at me the question mark is there as if to say 'sorry if I misread you'!

Well I know, we all know that not ALL (in capital letters) MPs have cheated the system i.e. ripped us off. The point is that they should have sorted it out, they have dragged their feet for far too long. Which is galling for most not ALL (such as yourself) of the public.

To be honest I wouldnt trust any of them as far as I could throw them, no

matter which party they belong to its just one big dinner at our expense.

A charge of bringing the house into disrepute should have been one of the first things they did.

I can't think of another profession that manages to be so bad at PR when it comes to things going wrong.

The third hardest work seems to be how to fiddle expenses, or claim non existing expenses.

http://playpolitical.typepad.com/labour_party/2009/05/elliot-morley-mp-claimed-16000-for-mortgage-that-did-not-exist.html

Of course there will be some MPs actually working for their constituents, that is after all their job.

It is a well paid job

I'm sorry Whatif, I'm not happy going blow for blow on this if your going to deny saying things.

It's clear your thoughts on this, which is fine, but attacking me for my thoughts is going to do what?

MP's in the news again today.

Voted themselves an increase to £9000 a year for unreceipted away from home expenses.

Maybe someone can explain why I can only claim £5 a night (the MP's are now £25) unreceipted (according to my accountant).

I'm going with the explanation, one rule for us, another for them.

MP's in the news again today.

Voted themselves an increase to £9000 a year for unreceipted away from home expenses.

Maybe someone can explain why I can only claim £5 a night (the MP's are now £25) unreceipted (according to my accountant).

I'm going with the explanation, one rule for us, another for them.

And the same people are trying to stop two soldiers from their payouts for terrible injuries suffered doing their jobs and also on the same day more coffins arrived back from afghanistan in coffins. Its a damn shame its the politicians that are not in the coffins. One soldier is worth 100 politicians

I'm lucky if I can get a packet of bubble gum through without a receipt...

This example isn't the only thing that gets me. It's been 40p a mile (upto X miles) for years now. With fuel twice the price, most peoples tax jumping year on year, I can still only claim 40p.

Stupid.

And then having two rules just makes it worse!

I know - it's pathetic that people take what the media say and let them dictate what we should think. It's apparently OK for a footballer to earn £200,000 per week, but is not ok for the country to pay our politicians properly and thereby encourage the most capable in to the job. The chief executives of very many public bodies, local authorities etc earn far more than the Prime Minister. Clearly that is a nonsense.

The issue is surely not how much they earn, but a lack of integrity bordering on contempt towards the taxpayers that ultimately employ them in the first place.