Woman who was made to walk after being 13p short

If you don't like the story, stop whining, just find something else to read instead. :thumbsup:

However it's interesting reading to many other people that a mother with an ill baby was rudely treated for the sake of 13p. And rudely treated in opposition to the service rules of the Supertram.

As already said, the real story here is that none of the other passengers helped her out. Shameful.

I once had planned a trip to town, set off from home intent on calling at the cash point opposite the tram stop, as I approached said tram stop, the tram was pulling up so I ran and got on and forgot all about the money situation, obviously I realised what I had done when the conductor came round and when I explained she was having none of it and told me to get off at the next stop, two people offered to pay my fare for me, so community spirit does exist, just not all the time.

Maybe there was no-one near her when she got kicked off.

i have left a note on the star website, i cant resist it when the star puts these stories on as a headline. please find something better to print, its just crap reporting. boring, apart from giving me a vent for my inner wrath. cheers I feel beter now!

ps i want a job as a photographer for the star. not so much 'smile for the camera' but ' frown and look sad or angry'

If you get to the petrol station, put fuel in, then find you have no money, they let you fill in a form, promising to go back and later within 1 week I think.

I know I did it once.

Have you ever tried siphoning fuel? It ain't pleasant and I wouldn't do it for what you'd earn in a petrol station

Saying that, in Liverpool you have to pay for the fuel before you draw it.

Re: this story. I agree with the posters who said we don't know what this woman's attitude was like. I'd have not hesitated to help unless she was being a gobshyte and I suspect that 90% of the public would do the same. I also find all the conductors to be very helpful and friendly, much more so than the average bus driver I might add and struggle to believe that they'd just turf her off

So I conclude that it was either an empty tram or she was indeed a gobshyte :)

The issue isn't The Star's reporting quality. (If it was, I'd point out the appalling punctuation error I spotted on a quick glance through the article :hihi:). The first post didn't have a link when I responded to it; I assumed it was posted based on hearing the tale from a friend or colleague.

The issue is that everyone apparently buried their noses in their newspapers instead of speaking up and offering 10p and a few coppers. When a discussion like that is going on, natural nosiness curiosity means that you tend to notice, even if you're several seats away. As the article states: she had to walk off the tram in front of all the other passengers. What a rubbishy state of affairs when no one offers help.

...So I conclude that it was either an empty tram or she was indeed a gobshyte :)

It wasn't empty. She walked off in front of the 'other passengers'.

'Gobshyte' or not, you'd have thought that the toddler's presence might have motivated someone's generous spirit.

The issue isn't The Star's reporting quality. (If it was, I'd point out the appalling punctuation error I spotted on a quick glance through the article :hihi:). The first post didn't have a link when I responded to it; I assumed it was posted based on hearing the tale from a friend or colleague.

The issue is that everyone apparently buried their noses in their newspapers instead of speaking up and offering 10p and a few coppers. When a discussion like that is going on, natural nosiness curiosity means that you tend to notice, even if you're several seats away. As the article states: she had to walk off the tram in front of all the other passengers. What a rubbishy state of affairs when no one offers help.

Well another fact we don't know, is how many people everyone refers to, do we? Not to mention who they were

If you get to the petrol station, put fuel in, then find you have no money, they let you fill in a form, promising to go back and later within 1 week I think.

I know I did it once.

That may be the official process, but there are staff who don't apply it.

On one occasion I went to pay for my fuel and found that my card was declined (even though I knew that there was plenty of money in my account). I'm disabled with major mobility issues, but without considering this the staff walked behind me and locked me in to the kiosk, then demanded my car keys, saying that I could only have them back when I went and fetched the money to pay for the petrol.

My coat was in the car (it was winter), the petrol station was at least half a mile away from the nearest cash point and I physically couldn't have done what they were asking me to. They threatened to call the police if I refused, at which point I asked them to pass me the phone so that I could call them for unlawful detention.

In the end we came to an agreement that I would leave the rest of my purse, with my driving licence and ID and my watch, which is worth about 5 tanks of petrol behind while I went to fetch the money to pay for the fuel.

I was SO annoyed when I found out from my bank the following day that the reason the payment was declined was because the garage's machine was faulty, so that was the reason that they thought that everyone was trying to get away without paying for fuel.

I can completely believe that people wouldn't put their hand in their pocket for 13p. Unfortunately I've seen similar selfishness happen too often to think that people could ever be trusted to do something as small as this for someone else. Irrelevant of the fact that most people would never miss 13p from their purse, it's money and people are amazingly self-centred when it comes to cold hard cash.

EDIT- it's a non-story really. May as well run a story about the sun being bright when there are no clouds.

It wasn't empty. She walked off in front of the 'other passengers'.

'Gobshyte' or not, you'd have thought that the toddler's presence might have motivated someone's generous spirit.

Oh come on, she could easily have been sat out of earshot of everyone else. Toddler or not, if she had been offensive or condescending towards the conductor, she should have been kicked off

I don't of course know if she was or not, i'm merely suggesting that we don't take everything the Star offers on a slow news day as gospel

Archived