G8 Summit - The politics of it all and our right to protest thread

Cheers Goose but being, as I am, in London and with the Telegraph having no website it's a little difficult for me to get hold of a copy!

M;)

Don't know if anyone else has made this comment, BUT, everyone has the right to peaceful protesting, but unfortunately, most NOT ALL, protests are infiltrated by idiots whose sole objective is to distrupt and destroy and it is this that the police have to consider when giving authorisation for 'peaceful protests.

Originally posted by SCENIC

most NOT ALL, protests are infiltrated by idiots whose sole objective is to distrupt and destroy

And their were clear examples of this occuring on the numerous stop the war demonstrations held in Sheffield, as well as on the massive national demonstrations in London.

Or are you talking rubbish?

Originally posted by Mattski

Cheers Goose but being, as I am, in London and with the Telegraph having no website it's a little difficult for me to get hold of a copy!

M;)

I think you can get attendees if you go to the G8 website. I would list them all but havent got time sorry :(

Hi,

It's not practice runs, or as they should be called "route recce's". If they were doing these then they would only need to do them once, more than likely exactly a week before the client arrived and also at roughly the same time they would arrive. This is so they get a good idea of traffic movements at that time of day etc...

Also they wouldn't do the recce's with the outriders (motorbikes) as this would be like holding up a big sign to any nutter out there saying "VIP coming soon, watch this space!" it would all be done discreetly.

Saying that, i have no definate answer as to why they are driving around so much lately, it could be one of a hundred reasons i can think of. But more than likely they will be on their way to pick up a client OR are being used as a decoy while the real client is transported covertly. If it is the later then it seems to have worked as they obviously stand out like a sore thumb!

Cheers.

This has been going on for weeks. Its just a police drill, in readiness for the G8 Summit.

They are doing runs from Doncaster/Sheffield Robin hood airport going to the A1 (Warmsworth) heading southbound towards the M18...must be like Guderian says above -- practice runs for the G8 VIP'S heading for Sheffield...

Sory to disapont Foo Fighter but the police have given in to protestors, to a degree, and are allowing a picket of the winter Gardens on Wednesday night.

aha, at last, a bit of sense.

I was driving back from Leeds to Sheffield this morning when about half way I notced a huge banner on the side of the motorway saying "go home G8"....seems the protests have already started

I was a steward/protestor-in-chief on the protest this morning. About 700 people is the estimate. Went right throuch town up to Peace in the Park. Anyone in town this morning couldn't have missed it because the route we were given kind of held up all the traffic for an hour or so!

Police were friendly and cooperative, and absolutely no trouble from any protestors - apparently one man was detained - a non-protestor - for having a go at a marcher.

Hopefully this good feeling with the authorities will continue throughout the week's demonstrations!

An interesting quote from today's protest on BBC news website:

One of the march organisers, Alan Kenny, claimed that people in Sheffield were upset about the disruption the G8 meeting will cause....."Not one city councillor raised the issue or voiced any opposition."

Would this be the same Alan Kenny who is a principle Respect activist in Sheffield. Perhaps this is why he failed to mention that not only has Dr Jillian Creasy spoken out against the G8 at council meetings but has played a pivotal role in pressurising the authorities to change their plans regarding protest.

Alan obviously has no Respect for the Greens as he refuses to acknowledge the work they have put in building the protests in Sheffield.

Originally posted by Disco_Cat

An interesting quote from today's protest on BBC news website:

Would this be the same Alan Kenny who is a principle Respect activist in Sheffield. Perhaps this is why he failed to mention that not only has Dr Jillian Creasy spoken out against the G8 at council meetings but has played a pivotal role in pressurising the authorities to change their plans regarding protest.

Alan obviously has no Respect for the Greens as he refuses to acknowledge the work they have put in building the protests in Sheffield.

Well I don't want to be a bitch but said Alan annoys a lot of people in a lot of ways. He's a big SWP man and tends to do their typical muscling in thing. I wouldn't be surprised if he was slating the councillors....he's a bit like that. He is an amicable enough guy though. Just has done certain things to annoy myself and a lot of others in the past. Give me a reply or two and I'm sure all my tact will leave and I'll spill all :D