Parkers Jewellers Hillsborough

My gf bought a silver chain, sold as new, from Parkers jewellers last Saturday.

By Sunday the chain was yellowing. I had a look under magnification and stamped on the chain was 'QVC'. The chain was taken to a local reputable jewellers at commonside on Monday who confirmed the chain was sterling silver. The chain was returned for a refund Monday but I did photograph the chain and scan the receipt.

I emailed Parkers about this but they haven't replied.

Does anyone know if this is illegal as I'm thinking of contacting the trades description people as the chain obviously originates from the QVC shopping channel.

Thanks.

If Parkers had bought a number of brand new items from QVC to sell on in their shop and they were not worn before being sold then are they used?

Is this any different to buying from jewellery wholesalers, just like every jeweller does?

I'm not sure that you have any case to argue here unless you can show that the chain was owned by a private individual before being sold to you. QVC routinely undercut retail jewellers with a shop so it's not a huge surprise to find some jewellers using them as a wholesaler then adding their mark up on top of the price they paid.

Cheers Medusa. I agree, difficult to proof but morally wrong IMO. Although I wasnt with her,gf said they had a negative attitude and after producing the receipt, they asked her where and when she had bought the chain which is a moronic question if the assistant is stood with the receipt in her hand. I agree with what you say also nellie... Worth the time it takes to type an email though I think to trading standards.

Does anyone know if this is illegal as I'm thinking of contacting the trades description people as the chain obviously originates from the QVC shopping channel.

Thanks.

as long as they came by the chain legally and haven't passed off a second hand chain as new then they haven't done anything wrong.

According to gf, the 2nd jewellers where it was taken to confirm it was in fact sterling silver said they thought the chain was worn. It was definitely yellowing because I compared it to other silver. I am going to drop trading standards an email. Cheers

• 11 months later...