Confused by estate agent behaviour.

I check the estate agents websites daily as I am looking for a new property.

On the friday a property I was interested appeared on line. I rang on the monday to arrange a viewing. The estate agent said they would ring me back when they had spoken to the seller.

On tuesday I called the agent as they had still not contacted me. They said they had still not spoken to the seller.

I left it til friday and rang them again. Then they tell me there will be no more viewings as they are negotiating a price with a buyer, and that is why nobody had called me back.

I understand thet the seller may have there reasons for wanting a quick sale and want to go with initial offers, but am I expecting too much from the agent, to at least let me know what is going on instead of leaving me hanging like this?

Bear in mind I am also selling my property with the same agent.

It's not Blundells is it? Theyve behaved similarly with us when we've been looking for a property to rent.

just call around at the property and explain politely the situation. It could be that the estate agent hasn't even told them about your interest.

You do hear all sorts of things estate agents get up to, like selling to friends or family, shutting others out.

I will try and contact the seller and explain what happened just in case. If it was the their choice then so be it. But I do wonder.

Some agents are like this!!!!

We have been in the same situation.

We put a letter through the door explaining our situation and interest. We got a call and a viewing.

Some agents I think are suspected to favour friends/families and some think they get a cut if they let property developers/investers in first.

Reeds Rains in my opinion do things well.

Each are different, keep on at then phoning till they get sick of you. Its not far to loose out on 'that' house for the sake of them not doing their job right.

Keep plugging!!!!!

When we bought 2 years ago I only spoke to the estate agent twice. First was a call because they wanted to check if we could afford it, second was to arrange to pick up the keys.

If you're interested in the house, talk to the vendor directly, never use the estate agents as go-betweens - they have been known to tell lies :)

Originally posted by Cols

When we bought 2 years ago I only spoke to the estate agent twice. First was a call because they wanted to check if we could afford it, second was to arrange to pick up the keys.

If you're interested in the house, talk to the vendor directly, never use the estate agents as go-betweens - they have been known to tell lies :)

Hey!! So I'm not the only one who does house buying/selling like this? :thumbsup:

This is only my opinion, but from my experience of making offers on houses (in Leeds), I've come to doubt that offers always get passed on from estate agent to vendor.

If I were to make an offer on a house today, I'd make sure I let the vendor know personally of my offer, not just rely on the estate agent to 'pass it on'.

It's horrible to be so suspicious, but in these days of buy-to-let and everyone wanting to be a property developer, I think it's very easy for someone who just wants a house to live in to be overlooked. :(

StarSparkle