Anyone remember Carnels Coaches ?

On 25/02/2009 at 22:34, hillsbro said:

Trevor Carnell died in June 1995 - he had just turned 60 and should have lived a lot longer.

I have a feeling that the Carnell family lived near me on Langdon St, Sharrow, in the 50s and were "in business" but I can't recall the nature.   Could this be the same? 

On 12/03/2023 at 19:53, DavidFrance said:

I have a feeling that the Carnell family lived near me on Langdon St, Sharrow, in the 50s and were "in business" but I can't recall the nature.   Could this be the same? 

Looking in a 1957 Kelly's directory,  a Harold Carnell lived at No. 38 Langdon Street. As far as I know he was no relation to the Carnell family who had the coach business.

• Like 1

Our school did a classical tour to Italy - there's a photo of us all stood alongside a Carnell coach. 

This would have been 1983.

Great trip - affordable access to amazing places under the guidance of Mr Wade.

There used to be a Grant & McAllin coaches too. They ran tours from outside the Heavygate Club in north Crookes/west Walkley. They would go all over, France, Italy,  Belgium. 

The company still exists but is now known as Ashley Travel, still with the white and turqoise colours but only as school buses now. The days of social clubs and local coach tours seem to be nostalgic now.

3 hours ago, Irene Swaine said:

There used to be a Grant & McAllin coaches too. They ran tours from outside the Heavygate Club in north Crookes/west Walkley. They would go all over, France, Italy,  Belgium. 

The company still exists but is now known as Ashley Travel, still with the white and turqoise colours but only as school buses now. The days of social clubs and local coach tours seem to be nostalgic now.

They were based after Manvers Road, Beighton and also had a car sales run by Fred Atack who did it part time while he worked at the NCB Fence Workshops.  I worked with him and bought quite few Vauxhall Cavaliers from him. He took pride in looking after his customers,  many like me who returned regularly. He took redundancy and built the business up before moving it to a huge new site at Mosbrough.  He sold it when he retired a good few years ago to Burrows.

• Like 1