I'm feeling worried about the world..

The job of the media (including pseudo-intellectual drivel like The New Scientist) is to make us worry, to panic, to depress us and make us question the whole point of our existence. Unfortunately bad news sells more than good - if you were given a choice of articles called either "Everything's Fine" or "Oh My God - We're All Going To Die!", which would you be more likely to read?

However, speculation about what the world may be like in 10, 20, 100 years' time is just that - speculation not fact and the likes of The New Scientist are no more objective than the tabloids.

In actual fact the world is probably safer and in a healthier state than it's ever been. There's so little threat to our way of life that the media has to make up scare stories such as global warming and terrorism which are at best wildly exaggerated and at worst imaginary.

Its hasn't really been the New Scientist reading that's got me all worked up, I guess my title is sort of a little wrong.

I'm worried about SOCIETY, if that makes more sense. Hell, I'm not even sure if I believe in Global Warming and Terrorism...well, obviously I believe in Terrorism, but not that England is under a Red-Alert-We're-All-Going-To-Die-Tomorrow sort of threat that the media keeps making it out to be.

Its more that there doesn't really seem to be any room to think for yourself any more, i.e. protest against something, you get smacked in the face by a police officer who's hidden his ID number. Complain against anything or say you don't believe something and you're either ignored, or branded a loon (in the eyes of the Gov't, I might add)

I'm just a bit highly strung and firmy believe in Academia and Study / Objectivity being the key to success in the world, and it just depresses me that most of the rest of the world doesn't agree!

Its more that there doesn't really seem to be any room to think for yourself any more, i.e. protest against something, you get smacked in the face by a police officer who's hidden his ID number. Complain against anything or say you don't believe something and you're either ignored, or branded a loon (in the eyes of the Gov't, I might add)

I'm not sure what you mean,. What could you do 10, 20, 30 years ago that you can't think, do or say today?

I'm not sure what you mean,. What could you do 10, 20, 30 years ago that you can't think, do or say today?

Smoke in public

Tell people you're a smoker (without getting at least one tut)

Give children dilute juice at school

Give your children a chocolate bar to take to school

For a start...anyway....

The job of the media (including pseudo-intellectual drivel like The New Scientist) is to make us worry, to panic, to depress us and make us question the whole point of our existence. Unfortunately bad news sells more than good - if you were given a choice of articles called either "Everything's Fine" or "Oh My God - We're All Going To Die!", which would you be more likely to read?

However, speculation about what the world may be like in 10, 20, 100 years' time is just that - speculation not fact and the likes of The New Scientist are no more objective than the tabloids.

In actual fact the world is probably safer and in a healthier state than it's ever been. There's so little threat to our way of life that the media has to make up scare stories such as global warming and terrorism which are at best wildly exaggerated and at worst imaginary.

Here's another to add to the never ending list of pointless things to worry about:

Near Earth Asteroids :cool:

Given the estimated number of near-Earth asteroids of this size (about 7,000 discovered and undiscovered objects), an object of this size would be expected to pass this close to Earth, on average, about every 5 years or so. The average interval between actual Earth impacts for an object of this size would be about 37,000 years.

The big dilemma for me, is between "technology" and "back to basics" on one side you have technology which has advanced us far beyond what people believed it would, to the point where we are even cloning organs (still not sure if im comfortable with this) etc, but in normal terms, it has given us access to new ways of learning and experiances. BUT, it probably speeded up the destruction (may be over the top) of our own planet and our thirst for power in all areas and of all types. Which is where the "back to basics" comes in, getting back to growing your own food etc. I want technology but i also want a clean life etc.

I know how you feel, but I don't see any point in getting depressed about it, just each person do what they can to change it in their own way.

For instance, I have raised my children in as natural a way as I can, attachment parenting, co-sleeping, extended breastfeeding, meeting their needs as expressed, home educating, letting them grow up in an extended family etc. We eat organic food as near to its natural state as we can where possible, we recycle where we can and try to have a minimum impact on the world. My kids are strong and have the ability to question authority and weigh up the evidence for themselves, rather than blindly obeying or believing everything they are told.

You could join one or more of the many groups campaigning such as ARCH for human rights and particularly for children's rights. There is also a support group called Natural Nurturing Network where you might find like minded people. http://www.naturalnurturing.org.uk/

There is a book about imperfectly natural parenting by Janie Lee Grace that you might like,

http://www.imperfectlynatural.com/tags/answers The imperfectly natural bit recognises that we can all only do our best and no one is perfect, but that it is important to try to do what we can. There is also a yahoo email list called imperfectly natural parents that you might be interested in joining, which is where Janie found the title for her books from, she has been a fellow member for a few years.

You are not alone worrying about these things, and you might find it helps talking to other people with the same concerns.

In actual fact the world is probably safer and in a healthier state than it's ever been.

Perhaps physically, and on the surface of the mind, but as far as truly understanding ourselves and our own destiny, I feel nihilism is more apparent than ever within society. We have talking heads leading us away from who we are towards a grand archetype - manufactured dichotomies and disassociated concepts from the natural and the divine. Thankfully, the religious institutions have lost much of their hypnotic, misleading esotericism, but institutional dogmas still plague our consciousness, and are only becoming ever better funded to administer more lethal doses of their hallucinogenics.

Walk down the road without hundreds of cameras watching your every move.

Fill your dustbin to the top with the lid slightly open and still get it emptied.

Walk to school with your friends from the age of 6 without being scared whitless that you would be kidnapped (media hype).

Eat and drink what you liked.

Gather in a group to protest without it being illegal.

The list is endless I could go on and on.