Possible licence fee for watching TV on the net.

Indicentally, when you buy a new TV, the retailer has to obtain your address by law.

However, it's not illegal to give a fake name and address!

I haven't had a tv license for 10 years. I live in a block of flats and never open my door to strangers. Must have had hundreds of letters over the years so that means less money for the BBC to spend on its rubbish programmes.

But do you watch their output? If not, how do you know it's rubbish?

Result!

I'm sure they're gutted.

I have the opinion that most people are cowards when it comes to paying the BBC fat cats.

Or they know a good thing when they see it.

A tax on watching tv!

That is exceptional value for money (IMHO), and results in an exceptional service.

The people living in other countries must be laughing at us!

Hardly, if anything they're envious of the standing the BBC commands. It is universally respected throughout the world.

Also, the UK is not alone in having a TV license, many countries also employ the same system.

Edited by Magilla

I'm not saying its a bad idea.

I don't really have an opinion on whether BBC Persia is any good (sorry I don't speak Farsi) and I don't listen to BBC World Service.

But why should British TV licence fee payers be picking up the tab for it?

The BBC World Service (radio & television) is funded by the commercial arm of the BBC (BBC Worldwide), which sells programmes and materials (such as QI to Dave) in order to supplement the licence fee, AND the Foreign Office (or whatever they're calling themselves these days), meaning everyone pays for the World Service, even if they don't pay the licence fee.

No funds from the licence fee are permitted to be spent on things which won't directly benefit British viewers/listeners.

BBC Radio is free to listen to because the TV licence fee covers the cost. If a significant number of people stopped paying the TV licence, a radio licence (or reduction in service) would be considered.

Finally, many countries across the world have a licence fee, which goes to the Government, and then has their main public service broadcaster funded by adverts (with only PSB committments normally funded by the Government).

The BBC is recognised across the world as one of (if not the) best broadcasters on the planet. As they said in the cheesy adverts, this is only possible due to the unique way it's funded.

You look at most of the 1000's of channels. How much is original content?

For about 25p a day you get ad free TV and radio with loads of original content. You get one of the UK's most used websites. You get Iplayer. You get free concerts. Free tickets to see shows.

What you moaning at?

I've a mind to agree somewhat with this post....seems a lot moan about the BBC but whine at the fees. When subscribing to sky etc your only watching/paying what you've already paid for. I subscribed to Sky...it lasted 3 months (what a load of crap)

For me it's not about the fee...it's the heavy tactics the BBC uses.

On one hand it accuses those that actually struggle to come up with the fee as a tactic to get us to vilify. There are millions in this country who are on the breadline...that includes those that are under 75. The BBC is world renowned for producing the best globally..it still has that capability. It seems though that their throwing Millions away in the promotion of crap viewing and ridiculous incomes. How many times do you want to see a house being remodelled or some ass cooking a chicken for the umpteenth time? TV is banal in the extreme, mostly like it's watchers...but it does have it's moments....like it's viewers.

Edited by Alien

I talked to a friend of mine today involved with IT and all its gadgets and I put it to him that if I want to view the BBC from abroad on my computer then why can't I be issued with a PIN number that I can do so? He said in all honesty that as an IT consultant that I could give that PIN number out to anyone as far as the BBC could be concerned.

Hence my assertion that the BBC will plan a new offensive on taking money from broadband users who will have no say whatsover in paying a licensed users fee for watching the BBC even if they never watch TV on a computer and he agree's that we are seeing the stepping stone to this.

The licensing agency responsible for gathering the money will have their job made much more easy, the internet is now becoming a new stealth tax that we are going to have to become aware of in many guises.

Frightening.

For me it's not about the fee...it's the heavy tactics the BBC uses.

Have to agree with you here (and Noel Edmonds). They always used to tell you what great value it was and how it was worth x pence a day, but these days it's all about threats.

It all seems so needless because the content is still world beating (IMV).

Edited by Magilla

I talked to a friend of mine today involved with IT and all its gadgets and I put it to him that if I want to view the BBC from abroad on my computer then why can't I be issued with a PIN number that I can do so? He said in all honesty that as an IT consultant that I could give that PIN number out to anyone as far as the BBC could be concerned.

I don't use iPlayer, but I was under the impression you entered your TV licence number to view some content? If not then I don't see why that couldn't be implemented. It could be bound to their IP (for example).

If people give it out, this would be fully trackable via their Licence Number and the various IP's.

Hence my assertion that the BBC will plan a new offensive on taking money from broadband users who will have no say whatsover in paying a licensed users fee for watching the BBC even if they never watch TV on a computer and he agree's that we are seeing the stepping stone to this.

The licensing agency responsible for gathering the money will have their job made much more easy, the internet is now becoming a new stealth tax that we are going to have to become aware of in many guises.

Frightening.

That is frightening and I would not be in favour of that.