How is he supposed to represent me?

Originally posted by ukdavvy

i

How is this guy suposed to have a handle on local affairs, assuming he's elected in, when he lives an hour away?

Maybe he's a regular forumer. :thumbsup:

And anyway is being 1 hour away really that bad a thing? If you lived in Grenoside i could be there in about half an hour. I live in Leeds. If i was travelling from say, dore or dronfield it would probably take about the same. Just a thought.

-PK-

I couldn't decide out of 2 candiates who to vote for so when in the polling booth i looked at the addresses. One lived in chesterfield and one in the area where i live. So i went for the local one, made decision a bit easier though.

As was pointed out people are hardly going to up sticks and come to live here before they win the seat.

And as for 'local knowledge' - you can probably get a good feel for what's relevant by setting up a weekly surgery in your constituency, listening, getting in to things like SF, reading the local rags. You could live in a nice part of Sheffield and still know sod all about what happens in another part of your constituency if you never bothered with it.

I'd rather had soemone who was willing to listen and put the effort in to representing their constituents, rather than someone who gets in based on the 'rosette on a dog' theory of British Democracy! :)

Joe

but how the hell is he going to listen when he lives god knows how many miles away ??? ........ British democracy allows any tom dick or harry to travel accross the counrty and say oh i know i will stand here............ for gods sakes its bad enough Caborn got back in...... i am a labour supporter but omg a party for working class people has anyone seen his expenses ...... argggggg i do apologise rant over and out :mad:

Originally posted by Carl_Malibu

my take on the whole thing was the BNP one didnt want to list a sheffield address because he would be fire bombed

just my 20p

No nothing as dramatic as that, they just couldn’t find anyone from Sheffield to stand so bought in a rather nasty bloke from Coventry, as they had to for two other seats in Sheffield.