Finding name from telephone number

Originally posted by firthandy

Can anyone give me a clue to which area 0114 249 xxxx would be?

this number could be darnall

You might want to look into getting caller ID. We have it on our home phones and it has all but eliminated the nuisance calls.

It gives the caller the option of revealing their phone # and name before it puts their call through. If they refuse, your phone doesn't ring. It's terrific.

:) Sierra

It could be in Darnall, but more likely central. It's not an infallable system, less so now than a few years ago, when it wasn't as easy to take your phone number when you move, as I say its only a rough guide...

Originally posted by spyro2000

Its possibly a sales call from Ant or similar.

Try typing the full number into google, if its a business it generally comes up. Alternatively if you dont get any look PM me with the number and I can try and find out for you. (I work for a very large phone company)

cheers.

Be very careful here, not only would you be in breach of the Data Protection Act, you could be prosecuted as well as getting the sack.

Originally posted by Magneteer

Be very careful here, not only would you be in breach of the Data Protection Act, you could be prosecuted as well as getting the sack.

ooh I didnt quite mean what people thought i meant. What I would have done is to just find out what type of number it was, ie residential or business. If it was business I would advised on who the company was. If it was residential I would have just said its residential, but I would have said wether its BT Telewest or NTL etc and what area.

cheers.

Originally posted by drolnhoj

Spyro2000 - I know if you work for a large phone company you can probably use the address and telephone search facilities to find this information but I would strongly recommend against it. I used to support the Directory Enquiry Service for the UK's largest telphony service and I would not dream of providing this type of information. I recall the case a few years ago where a man obtained the address for his ex wife via a telecom employee and he subsequently went to the address and murdered her. Just a friendly warning.

Yes the couple that were murdered in Lincolnshire had their details passed to the killer by someone from BT - nice.

Originally posted by coopster1974

Yes the couple that were murdered in Lincolnshire had their details passed to the killer by someone from BT - nice.

yes but like i said, I wouldnt pass on residential details.

Cheers.

248 is definately Killamarsh or mosboro'

hi ther iv had the same problem i found a great help in a site called magenta systems http://www.magsys.co.uk

its free to look up numbers and will give you the location address for the number. hope this helps.

allso i lived in westfield s19 for a few years and my number began with 48.

good luck

Guest Ant
Its possibly a sales call from Ant or similar.

Nah, I'm out of credit.

Originally posted by Ant

Nah, I'm out of credit.

lol, well that rules you out, Im out of ideas now :D