Have Liverpool just lost the Title

dvp82

Ok then Mr Bandwagon, show me a post where a Liverpool fan on here has said "Liverpool will win the league"!

I (a BIG Liverpool fan) have always said that Liverpool WON'T win the league! We simply are not good enough. Man Utd however are like a machine at the minute, and if they don't win the league, i'll post a pic of myself naked, holding an Everton shirt to my mouth with my lips puckered!

Do us a favour, don't just say that Liverpool fans always claim that "we will win the league", because quite frankly, there is hardly a Liverpool fan I know that actually believes that this is the case!

Christ i hope Man Utd do win the league:hihi:

Oh really? Well then could you please explain these FACTS that were stated in an article written recently, when this exact theory was spewed out by another 'fan' that didn't have a clue:

I ask people to go check Manchester United's results without Ronaldo and Rooney. And again, I ask people to see how many games Liverpool have won without Torres and Gerrard this season.

If you can't check, let me do it for you: United lost five league games last season. Rooney missed four of them, Ronaldo missed three, and they did not play together in any of those defeats. Of these opponents, only Chelsea were a team in the top eight, so it's not skewed by difficult games.

In the 12 league matches Rooney did not start, United's accrued a 69-point average when extrapolated over 38 games, as opposed to the 87 they actually racked up. In the seven games Ronaldo did not start, the average would have made an even worse total: 65 points. Or the tally that saw Everton finish 5th.

Shockingly, in the four games in which neither started –– against Manchester City, Bolton, Sunderland and Spurs (again, no giants, but admittedly one derby) –– they dropped half of the available points: meaning an average of 57 if extrapolated over 38 games. Or equivalent to finishing 8th, like Portsmouth.

(Also, of the three league games Ronaldo missed at the start of this season, United dropped five points, which is the form of a mid-table side.)

Yes, United have other good players all over the pitch, but do these facts not suggest that they are overly reliant on their best two attacking players?

While United have coped well in the last few games without Rooney, without either him and/or Ronaldo on a regular basis, the form book suggests that they are not a title-winning side. Indeed, far from it.

(Of course, if United did not have these players on a very regular basis, or indeed at all, they'd try to buy similar replacements; just as Liverpool obviously would in the case of Torres and Gerrard.)

Now look at Liverpool without Torres and Gerrard this season.

Gerrard has failed to start four league games –– Villa, United, Fulham and Portsmouth. Two of those are clearly very tough fixtures, against top-three sides. Two were at home, two away. And yet Liverpool's record is won two, drawn two. Over 38 league games, that is worth an impressive 76 points.

Due to injury, Torres has failed to start no fewer than 15 league games. These resulted in ten wins, four draws and just one defeat. Over a 38 game season, that ratio would earn an incredible 86 points. That is a title-winning tally; last year United got 87, but needed only 86.

Perhaps due to Torres playing at least half a dozen games when lacking sharpness, Liverpool have actually fared better without him; with him starting, the Reds have won five and drawn five, which is 76 points in terms of form over 38 games. (Though he did win the weekend's game from the bench.)

It gets even more amazing. In each of the two league games Liverpool started without both Torres and Gerrard, the Reds won: against United and Pompey. It's only two games, of course, but it's a 100% record. Or 114 points over the course of a season! (Silly, I know, when based on such a small sample, but a 100% record is a 100% record.)

Yes, these are statistics – but then league tables are formed from similar statistics relating to win, lose or draw, which are the most important kind. And yes, United's figures are based on last season (when they won the title) and Liverpool's this season (as they challenge for it). Even so, it's valid.

But even I was shocked at how remarkably disparate the win/lose/draw statistics were. I'm no genius; I just sat down and bothered to check some team sheets and calculate some figures, rather than just make ignorant assumptions like the McPundits.

So why are Liverpool the team perceived to rely on just two players? Why does someone like Tim Sherwood say that United don't rely on their key men and Liverpool do?

Why isn't the truth –– that United cannot seem to cope very well without Ronaldo, and certainly not well at all without both him and Rooney –– more well known?

Why isn't Rafa praised for getting so many great results without his key men this season, rather than just constantly criticised?

Why isn't Ferguson accused of being lucky or relying on Rooney and Ronaldo to get him out of trouble?

I'll leave you (and anyone in the media who reads this) to draw your own conclusions. But based on these figures, if I were Alex Ferguson and United lost Rooney and Ronaldo to serious injury, I'd be very worried.

So, what do people make of these facts? Can the myth that surfaces day after day, week after week, finaly be layed to rest?

I very much doubt it!

and breath

Again we dominate a game to the extent of total, but yet again find ourselves behind. This is becoming a feature of our game that is the sole reason we are about as close to winning the title as Aston Villa are (in terms of potential, not points).

Skirtel again at fault for the goal (as he was against Everton etc etc) because he simply failed to head the ball away, instead choosing to close his eyes and miss the ball completely. Whoever it was that said Skirtel was a better player than Agger, seriously has to have a good look at how they view a defenders qualities!

Rafa is again up to his old tricks with regards rotation, deciding to drop Yossi Benayoun to the bench when he is clearly our most in-form player. Granted Yossi played against Milan a few days ago, but so did Kuyt! Riera has also been dropped by Rafa who instead decides to play a relatively un-proven youngster. What is going on here? We have 12 premiership games left but Rafa still thinks rest is the most important aspect, yet again. Maybe he shouldn't sign this new contract for the good of our club?

Oh well, atleast if we lose this game against the most off-form premiership team, it will end all this pathetic talk of a title challenge! I for one am becoming increasingly bored with our negative, boring, paths of play and I don't think it would such a bad thing if Rafa did actually decide to leave, and if I hear one more person say "the league isn't over yet" i'll f******* scream because it is over, well and trully over, and the sooner some of our supporters realise this, the better (applies more to fans on other football forums, as hardly anyone on here supports or even likes Liverpool lol).

I think Liverpools problems as well as arsenals and to some extent chelsea is to many foreigners in the team. When you look at am man of the match, how many times over a season is it not gerrard. Whilst rver you have players who have no affinity to the club they play for and loyalty only to their backpocket, you will win nothing. Man United have a base of home bred players and thats why they will win the league and its light years away for liverpool. Apart from that Benitez is too safety concious and does not have the attacking options available to his self like Man United do.

Rafa is again up to his old tricks with regards rotation, deciding to drop Yossi Benayoun to the bench when he is clearly our most in-form player. Granted Yossi played against Milan a few days ago, but so did Kuyt!

Impressed by Kuyt's dummy in front of an open goal yesterday. How come he gets in the starting line up so often - has Rafa adopted him or something?

Archived