Tellytubby place A61 Tankersley. What is it?

Originally posted by redrobbo

How does anyone else get a job there Eclaire?

Sometimes there is a graduate intake.

Recently there has been recruitment from IT agencies for both permanent and contract positions.

I had to deliver to it the other week I think the security are part of the FBI!! They made me pull into a secure area, used mirrors to look under my truck, asked me all kinds of questions all while being filmed by god knows how many cctv camera's.

All this for 1 parcel ,which strangley was the only thing they did'nt search!

Is there a picture of this place anywhere?

It's a secure of site storage unit where all data is stored in case or computer failure at a branch/head office. I doubt therefore that they burn cash there as that would make the facility prone to data loss itself in the event of a fire.

The vents are to control humidity and climate so the data tapes, disks, etc can be stored without moisture, heat etc causing problems.

I thought all notes were burned at the BoE as they could control the amount of currecny in circulation.

READ

I think you will find it is a nuclear bunker that goes down hundreds of ft. This is where all the important people will go if there is ever a nuclear disaster or attack.

Went past this place again today and i cant help but wonder what it is?

There is a weighbridge outside and those big green tubes coming up from the ground with a big white building in the middle. I guess it must be venting for something, but it just looks like the tellytubby land.

Does anyone know??

It's HSBC - South Yorkshire is the actual name. All the IT people are there and their main servers and stuff.

Its also where they burn money for the royal mint...hence the tight security.. another one of my dads tales..apparently during his service with the fire brigade he went in a few times. all that lovley cash up in smoke.. giz a job :heyhey:

They dont have any money there :)

Some background information, copy and pasted from here

In the mid-1970s, Midland Bank Ltd took the decision to relocate many of its head office support functions from London to Sheffield. At the same time it commissioned the building of a data centre just north of the city. Midland’s commitment to South Yorkshire was significant – a commitment that continues today.

In 1992 Midland Bank became a principal member of the HSBC Group, which even then, was one of the largest international banking and financial services organisations in the world. HSBC, which now has over 9,000 offices in 79 countries and territories and assets of almost US$1 trillion at 30 June 2003, operates in all the world's major trading centres.

The new data centre was completed in 1981 at a cost of £40 million. It was designed in two halves each mirroring the other to provide complete 24 hour a day by 365 day a year operation with full contingency against system problems. As the world has become more reliant on computers, so has the bank, to the extent that this mirroring is now carried out between two computer centres in the UK. The South Yorkshire site has taken on the role of a global data centre supporting the group’s computer operations from many areas of the world.

Of course, this investment in property and technology would be meaningless without a complementary investment in people to maintain them. Over the last fifteen years or so there has been a huge increase in the number of people required to write, deliver and look after HSBC’s computer systems. HSBC IT in Europe currently employs over 3,500 systems development and operations staff – the majority living in Sheffield and working in the bank’s principal European IT development centre, Griffin House, in the heart of the city.

The bank’s image is promoted as being ‘The world’s local bank’. Nowhere is this message more meaningful than in Sheffield.

Is there a picture of this place anywhere?

Cameras not allowed on the premises or so I believe ... though as most mobiles now have a camera as standard I wouldn't think it would be too hard for someone to get pics.

Even so, I would think it would just reveal a standard corporate image inside and nothing as juicy as top secret material!

I once worked there.

Facts:

The building is/was known as SYNDC (South Yorkshire National Data Centre).

Most of the structure is underground.

There are 2 computer rooms storing mainframe computers,

A white office building is situated in the middle of the two computer rooms, this is known as the bridge, as in the bridge of a ship (The place of operation control). It is also known as the bridge as the building looks like the bridge of a supertanker.

The building is surrounded with 4 groups of 3 funnels completing the supertanker look.

The 2 main computer rooms are identical rooms both about the size of half a football pitch.

Another Building in Bootle Liverpool (NWNDC North West National Data Centre) mirrors this building with 2 identical rooms (Just in case a nuclear bomb takes one of these buildings out).

I think a third exists down south LNDC (London), but cant be sure.

The roof of the computer rooms have been designed to withstand the impact of a jumbo jet falling from 30000 feet.

If Midland Bank or HSBC as its known now was to lose its computer records for three days the business would go under, therefor these computer rooms are more valuable than any money or gold you might have imagined being stored there.

The building is totally fireproof therefor if there is a fire you dont have to evacuate the building, you just move to a different part of it.

When I worked there it had a gym, showers, pool tables, video & TV room, 1st class restraunt and coffee lounge, Glass backed squash court & putting greens.

Inside the building it is a bit star treky, all the corriders look identical, with identical doors. This has been designed this way to confuse any intruder that may in the unlikly event break into the building.

The building is surrounded by 2 fences they are electrified complete with movement sensors.

The building has CCTV all over it and Infra red cameras at night (Ive seen a few dogging videos from that place as I was friends with one of the securuty guards at the time). It used to be a very quite trading estate 15 years ago so many couples parked up near the building at night).

In case of disaster the building has a generator capability which can take over from the national grid in case this fails.

It also has numerous beds in storage incase staff have to sleep over in emergencies.

Also when I worked there you needed to take a 2 hour lunch when we went to the pub because the nearest pub was miles away. These ocasionally turned into 3 hour lunches, lol those were the days. Now there is a pub close at hand so the building is a bit easier to escape from.

It was because of its location and security that you didn't have time to leave the building and have a lunch outside of this place, so you felt a bit imprisoned when working there.

Thanks Terroist, great insight into the facility. I would have thought of a better second site than in Liverpool though :0)