Has anyone ever challenged people on public transport who play horrible music?

I actually did it a couple of times as it really annoys me after a hard day or if the sound is really bad.

I usually ask them with a smile to put the volume down or off completely, and so far, it worked. Funny thing is that no one else ever seems to bother - but then everyone is glad that I did.

Wonder if they would help me if anyone would have a go at me ... where are the brave people in England???

(Explanation - I am German, hence much more direct by nature :-) )

no comment

How about having respect for the very people who pay theses children’s way in life so far. It’s the adults on the bus who are paying higher ticket prices to subsidise their discounted tickets, its the adults who pay their taxes to pay for the children’s education, health care, etc etc.

To go to the extreme: What have the children done to deserve any respect?

So a baby is worthless then. They haven't even lived long enough to earn respect. Do you think we should have kids working until they can afford an education? One flaw though, how can they work without some sort of education, even the job has to be taught.

Let's take it even more to the extreme. What do the retired do to earn their way. Surely they're just wasting valuable NHS resources. Surely once they become unproductive we should put them down? Or do you expect the younger generation to look after the older and vice versa.

I got the red mist then: "I'VE BEEN STANDING IN THE ******* FREEZING COLD FOR HALF A ********* HOUR, AND I'M REALLY ******** OFF, AND I'M NOT LISTENING TO THAT S*** ALL THE WAY INTO TOWN!!"

It might be worth mentioning that Yog is normally a mild mannered Clark Kent. In the last seven years I've witnessed him lose his temper only once. He's the most tolerant man I've ever met (you'd have to be to be with a fruit-loop like me. :hihi:)

I was just thinking about this on Thursday, sat on the 20a in fact, some little s**** sat at the back with their music blearing out. And I'm 17 btw so it's not just older people it annoys. I wouldn't mind so much if they played real music but it's always rap or hiphop. But whether you find it annoying or not, it's still inconsiderate, what makes them so special to think that everyone does/should like their music? And well done to those who do actually say something to them. I'm still considering the classical music approach... think they'll like Paschelbel's Canon in D Major?

Your writing voice sounds really similiar to a lad Yog and I have talked to on the 20A before and at the bus stop outside Derbyshire Lane garage, are you he? :)

I have. It was last year, on a cold day in February or thereabouts.

I usually cycle to work but on this day I had to go by bus. I waited for the 20A at Derbyshire Lane, and two of them failed to turn up. By the time one did come along, there were loads of really angry people waiting, meaning the bus was full. I was absolutely freezing, having been stood there for 35 minutes.

I got a seat near the back of the bus, where there were a load of teenage girls sitting. I was in a foul mood already and when one of the foul-mouthed little harridans started to play some tinny cheesy RnB over her mobile, I snapped.

I turned round and just stared at her and said "Turn that off, NOW!"

She looked at me and said "Y'wot?"

I got the red mist then: "I'VE BEEN STANDING IN THE ******* FREEZING COLD FOR HALF A ********* HOUR, AND I'M REALLY ******** OFF, AND I'M NOT LISTENING TO THAT S*** ALL THE WAY INTO TOWN!!"

"OK, I'll turn it off then" she replied, when she'd peeled herself off the back window of the bus. And she did.

I felt much better for that, and they made not a sound until halfway into town when some mates of theirs got on. I heard them whispering and one of the new girls said loudly "Well nobody's going to tell me what I can play!"

With that, she turned her music on. By then though, I didn't care, I'd unloaded. And anyway, the tune she played was quite pleasant.

When I got off, they started a slow handclap , and I was aware of some sign language as the bus pulled away. But I was smiling.

I got on the bus again a few days later. There were some girls at the back. As I sat down, I heard " It's HIM!" I smiled and gave them a wave. I don't think they appreciated it.

There was no repeat though.

Quality, absolutue quality!

Your writing voice sounds really similiar to a lad Yog and I have talked to on the 20A before and at the bus stop outside Derbyshire Lane garage, are you he? :)

lol, no, don't think so, I get on at the top of Scarsdale ;)

I just tut really loudly along with everyone else on the bus lol!!!

Like I say, respect is a two way thing. Would you possibly want to respect a group of people that label you as a scrote, chav or just a plain old criminal? I always thought adults should lead by example. Were you young once? Did you never in your youth shout, jump around, swear and have the odd fight? I don't believe you witness fights on public transport often by the way. Kids are kids, it's why we call them kids. It's up to us to teach them the error of their ways not just slag them off. How do any of you know what the parents of these kids are like?

One frightening little thought for you that label the youth of today. These scrotes, chavs, hoodies and whatever other terms you want to think of for bringing kids down will be the ones who support us in our later years. Then again, weren't we in the same position years ago. I know I was. I annoyed the odd adult through my very existence. I think things turned out alright though.

You are going way over the top. I didn’t label anyone, anything, and certainly never used the terms, scrotes, chavs or hoodies, you are misquoting what I have written.

All I said was that if you act like an idiot, then don’t be surprised if you are treated like on, it’s simple. You on the other hand seem to be going off on some rant with goes way beyond what I have said.

So a baby is worthless then. They haven't even lived long enough to earn respect. Do you think we should have kids working until they can afford an education? One flaw though, how can they work without some sort of education, even the job has to be taught.

Let's take it even more to the extreme. What do the retired do to earn their way. Surely they're just wasting valuable NHS resources. Surely once they become unproductive we should put them down? Or do you expect the younger generation to look after the older and vice versa.

I was not saying babies are worthless, again you are putting words into my mouth.

Maybe you don’t understand, but sometimes you need to look at the extremes of an argument to really understand the reasons and they whys behind the opposing views.

You really are generalising. You could ask what have any of the adults done to deserve any respect?

...and what you're saying is that all kids should be treated like crap because they're kids.

Everyone should be treated with respect unless they have shown not to deserve it....not the other way around.

Yes I would agree, we should all respect each other, but is playing loud music on a bus not disrespecting others who are using the bus? is swearing and being abusive not also disrespecting others on the bus also?

I doubt anyone (unless they were stuck in the Victorian ages) has problems with children on buses behaving, it’s those who cause problems and as above, disrespecting others that causes problems and it is usually the same people who demand respect but act disrespectful to others.

We should all respect each other, but our actions determine how we are seen and ultimately treated by others. Act nice and people will reciprocate, act like a dick and you will be treated like one.

I don't like it when parents let their children sit down when there's oldies standing, where's the respect?

I was actually told by one of the physiotherapists I saw a few years ago that in many ways it is better for older people to stand on the bus if they hold on properly because it helps them to keep the ligaments and tendons around their knees and pelvis strong and helps stop them weakening which can make them more likely to fall.

That said I can never get over the discomfort factor of not standing for an old person. I would be too ashamed not to offer my seat...

(although if we are whinging, what about when you get up for an old person and some healthy young person swings into the seat instead?)

You have to earn respect. You don't get respect simply for being old.

I agree with that. I am constantly surprised (though I don't know why anymore) when I see old people spitting, coughing without covering their mouths, swearing and thrwoing litter. As a child I was taught to look to the elderly for manners and guidance, but when people act like that it isn't going to make people respect them

I did ask some teens to turn their music off though, I tend to ask because lets face it, it is not pleasant and after a day at work/with your seriously ill relative at the hospital/6am the last thing you want to hear is some tinny horrible noise.

Fair enough if no one minds or says anything maybe we sholdn't complain but it IS disrespectful to other people and it is done to annoy everyone else. Headphones exist, they are cheap, you can even get mutliplayer adaptors so you and your mates can all listen to the same thing.

However every time I have asked for it to be turned down I have received a torrent of abuse in return. No matter how politely you ask you just get bile spewed back at you, normally personal insults eg

"please would you turn that music off"

"haha you ******* freak, what are you a man or a woman" was the most recent exchange of this type.

nice, eh?