Sheffield Homes - any advice please

Hello Playmates!

Sheffield Homes have recently carried out work at my home under the 'Decent Homes' scheme. Those of you who have had this done will have some idea of the horrors this entails, so I'll not bore you with a blow by blow account here. Suffice it to say that as a shift worker I was unable to sleep at the property on several occasions, had no toilet or cooking facilities on other occasions, and suffered almost 6 weeks of mess, damage and general misery (and it's not finished yet, even tho it's been signed over).

My question is: Are Sheffield homes justified in charging me full rent for the whole period of the works? I am looking for compensation for the disturbance and stress caused, in addition to that for breakages and damage caused.

Constructive opinions and the usual rants will be welcomed warmly...

I wouldn't get your hopes up too much about getting a rent re-fund. But as for damages etc, they ripped our carpet near the front door when installing central heating so they offered money for a new carpet or to fit us laminate, we opted for laminate.

Also they ripped some wallpaper upstairs and left the plastered wall which they used to make the bathroom bigger unpainted so gave us £30 on our rent account for this.

In reply to your question, it was not Sheffield Homes that carried out the work. You would have had a construction company who was working on behalf of Sheffield Homes. You would have had a Liaison Officer who should have carried out an induction prior to the work comencing. If you had an induction, the Liaison Officer should have asked you a number of questions, i.e. "Do you work?" and "What are you hours of work". With regards to the damages then you should have informed your Liaison Officer of these damages. He/she would have taken a statement from you and depending on what was damaged, would depend on whether you recieved compensation or not. Can you let me know which contractors were working on your home and what area of sheffield you live in. Sorry to hear that you had a bad experience

Nope They Should Reduce Your Rent While Carring Out The Work

Sorry to say, Sheffield Homes would not be in a position to do this. If they did, they would only do it in exceptional circumstances.

Ripped wallpaper; heating system fitted in so much of a rush they had to come back 3 times to fix leaks,I still have to keep topping the system up as it loses pressure all the time; badly fitting double glazing - last week I wiped the black mould off my daughters window and some of the sealant came off as well! Black mould in the bathroom because of an inefficient fan; I had to reseal around the bath (and fit battens underneath) because it flexed so much; went to SIX different places to replace the compact light tube they kindly put in the bathroom; had to screw the kickboards on in the kitchen 'cos they kicked off!

Oh yes quality work all overseen by Lovell!Even one of their project managers (Shaun) left after a couple of months 'cos he was that fed up of them!

not that im having ago or anything but yes i can see why people get a bit mad and stressed but at the end of the day your getting a brand new bathroom and kitchen and new windows at the end of it all....some people arent lucky enough to even have a home so stop the wining.....and put up with a bit longer.... im sure a bit of wallpaper and paint and so on can be replaced....

Hello Playmates!

Sheffield Homes have recently carried out work at my home under the 'Decent Homes' scheme. Those of you who have had this done will have some idea of the horrors this entails, so I'll not bore you with a blow by blow account here. Suffice it to say that as a shift worker I was unable to sleep at the property on several occasions, had no toilet or cooking facilities on other occasions, and suffered almost 6 weeks of mess, damage and general misery (and it's not finished yet, even tho it's been signed over).

My question is: Are Sheffield homes justified in charging me full rent for the whole period of the works? I am looking for compensation for the disturbance and stress caused, in addition to that for breakages and damage caused.

why didn't you ask to use their decant property????

Hello Playmates!

You won't get a reduction in your rent and its very unlikely there would be any compensation for disturbance, as it would apply to everyone having a new bathroom, kitchen, central heating, windows etc. The extent of the disruption should have been explained before the work started.

However, if you have any breakages or damage, you should claim for them, there's some contact info here:

http://www.sheffieldhomes.org.uk/how-are-we-doing/complaints-praise--suggestions/how-do-i-get-in-contact

Or, contact your liaison officer.

Good luck.

not that im having ago or anything but yes i can see why people get a bit mad and stressed but at the end of the day your getting a brand new bathroom and kitchen and new windows at the end of it all....some people arent lucky enough to even have a home so stop the wining.....and put up with a bit longer.... im sure a bit of wallpaper and paint and so on can be replaced....

Yes tenants get a new kitchen and bathroom but lets not forget this is the tenants home even though it's only rented and it should be treated with a little bit of respect. Wallpaper can be replaced yes but at a cost and if the workmen damage it why should the tenant cover the cost? I mean I got £30 but to be honest what's that towards buying paper to re-papaer a wall and paint to paint a wall? When we moved into our concil home we spent just over £1000 having it decorated as neither of us can wallpaper only for workmen to come along and damage what we'd paid for.

I'm sorry for people who don't have a home...but I have this one because I work and pay the rent, there's no luck involved. I'm not moaning about a small amount of decorating, I'm moaning about having to find somewhere else to sleep, wash and do my laundry which should all be covered by my rent. I don't think this is unreasonable.