• Extreme Archaeology
    • What the Romans/Victorians/Ancients etc. did for us
    • Hidden Treasure
    • Britain A.D.
    • Two Men in a Trench
    • Indiana Jones
    • Other (please state in post)

Guest Ant

Ah, Adam Hart-Davies and Susan Blackmore. Both heroes in my book. I'm suprised Susan Blackmore doesn't present more tv programmes, she's a natural.

Originally posted by Ant

I'm suprised Susan Blackmore doesn't present more tv programmes, she's a natural.

She's great, and also the best teacher I ever encountered throughout my school, college and University career. It's not an exaggeration to say that she changed my way of thinking and my life completely. The enthusiasm, logic, and sheer open-mindedness with which she approaches a subject (she is always willing to be proved wrong, which makes her arguments all the more convincing) are an inspiration.

Hmm, my dad was an archaeologist for years, did his degree in it. (There's a lot of them in Sheffield because the university department's very highly rated). He always scoffs at Time Team because of the rush, and thinks it's just a waste and digs should be weeks long.

I used to be an archaeologist and I loved it! The thing i liked about it was the unknown quality..how everyone's theories were just as valid. A bit more of that on tv and people would like it more I think.

Not that fussed on timeteam myself as it is a very MTV version of digging...usually it takes a lot longer! I prefer losing myself in the Discovery Channels or a book!

Archaeology was a great job but there was a feeling you weren't doing anything truly useful although it was extremely interesting. I'm a tarot reader now and strangely it feels far more useful to society!

When I was digging we were digging at Doncaster where a mine was. Manager tells us that if we don't find anything they can dump coal on the field and keep people in jobs for another six months..if we do find something they close the mine that week. Faced with that would you find anything? We all agreed that unless we found a Roman fort (or something that'd raise tourism) we'd say we found nothing. Doesn't send you home feeling like your job is important at the end of the day!

Coley x

I watch most of the programs listed. I've not heard of briton AD. I think Time team is tired and past it's sell by date and it is another program ruined by the bloody music they play over the top of anybody speaking.

Adam Hart Davis is from Sheffield I've been told. I recently watch What the romans did for us and it's excelent.

Time flyers annoys me, i dont like the presenter and the format and again the sodding music they play at any given point.

One series I would love to see again and cannot for the life of me remember what it is called recreated ancient macines using traditional tools and materials. They built a roman bridge building machine, waterwheels and pumps.

Of those mentioned above "Two men in a trench" would have to be my favourite.

Under the "Other" bracket, I'd have to mention anything by Michael Wood, I realise he's more a historian, but I have found all his series very interesting.

Originally posted by foo_fighter

Under the "Other" bracket, I'd have to mention anything by Michael Wood, I realise he's more a historian, but I have found all his series very interesting.

Oh yes, Michael Wood's a great presenter. I loved his series "In Search of the Trojan War" - really brought archaeology to life. I've still got the book that went with the series. :thumbsup:

StarSparkle

Foo and Starsparkle, you are both endowed with good taste. I would name Michael Wood's In Search of the Dark Ages as a Desert Island choice. What a wonderful, gripping introduction to a relatively neglected period of history [in terms of teaching emphasis in schools] that book is! Wood is an engaging presenter too, with style, charm and panache.

Archived