St. John Fisher School in the 1960's

I went to both SJF junior and secondary schools and remember Miss Curlys little friend she used to keep in her desk, she used to call it John Thomas and I remember it being a short, thick cane that used to hurt like he'll, I also remember Mr Hodges and his size 11 slipper on the back of my legs and also Mr Melia and his long thin cane that he used to keep in his cupboard in his office. I must have hade some sort of punishment from one of these guys at least once a week. Those were the days

What dates did you go to St John Fisher seconadary school Dumstick?.. I left in 1968 age 15.. I started on the day first day it opened, it was like a new pin.. yes I remeber Mr Hodges I think, cant recall Mr Melia.. I remember the nuns and the sports teacher Mr.????... bugger, cant remeber his name.. I remember the woodwork teacher as I loved that class, small grey hair guy cant remeber his name either ..Yes those were the days alright..

I was in SJF infants and juniors at Hackenthorpe from aprox 1964 to 1970 then in secondary from 1970 to 1976. Head teacher at juniors was Mr Melia and it was Mrs Finney and not Mrs Curly who owned John Thomas and used to dish out the pain. My 1st Year teacher at SJF secondary was Dave Mcklusky, a londoner and a fantastic teacher, 3rd year was Miss Clark who was a bit of a sadist and i couldn't get along with her at all. I remember Joe Lyons who was my 4th form teacher and he was quite a strict but respected teacher who i met through my future wifes family in later years and he was a great bloke out of school. You may also remember Mr Adams, the black PE teacher who was OK as long as you liked PE and sister Brendan the nun who was a sadist from god. and Mr Bell who used to take careers, i think he had a nervous breakdown and left after attacking a pupil.

If i thing back it seemed great to be a bit of a rogue but i did things then that i cringe about when i think of them now.

Mr Lyons he was the sports teacher wasnt he ..

wasnt Mr Ken Woslehome the metal work teach or was it woodwork teacher or did he do both??

It looks like you went to SJF after I left drumstick.. We bedded the place in for you..

Did they every plug up the peep hole we drilled into the girls showers, it was still there when we left in 68...Man were we bad in those days..It was a fun school..

Mr Lyons he was the sports teacher wasnt he ..

I was at St John Fishers, Woodhouse and left in 69, Mr Lyons also taught geography. I remeber the nuns sister Mary Paula ans Sister Bernadette ( not a small woman ). Mr Campbell was the headmaster.Mrs Higham was needlework,Mr Walsh science, not my favourate guy !!

Hi Catzmeller,thank you thank you for all those teachers names they brought back great memories.........Sister Bernadette oh man she was a tough old boot but I got on with her OK... Sister Mary paul was a softie from memory .. Mr Campbell I was his teachers pet..He loved his football and as I played fro Sheffield Boys in those days I got away with murder . Dont remember Mrs Higham.. Ha!! Mr Walsh yes I remember him, a right old grump..they were great days... You must have been in my brothers year Keith Doherty??

Nope can`t remeber Keith but the memory can be selective, obviously I didn`t fancy him,,haha.I remeber Michael Bradford ? also played for Sheffield boys I think he was a in a year above me ?

Nope can`t remeber Keith but the memory can be selective, obviously I didn`t fancy him,,haha.I remeber Michael Bradford ? also played for Sheffield boys I think he was a in a year above me ?

And the brain is in overdrive,,Mr O`Hara think he was RI but I know he taught me how to waltz !!

Ha !! no you wouldnt have fancied my brother he was a big boy and still is ..but a very clever bugger..

Michael Bradford, that name rings a bell he must have been younger than me .. I played for Sheffield and Yorkshire boys in 1967 at 14 years old and left school in 68 at 15 years old..I then went to play for Sheffield Unt for a few years then went to the lower divisions before moving to New Zealand to play..and been here ever since..so how old are you.. So do you live in South Africa??.. cheers Jim

That`s the safest way to ask a woman her age without getting a slap !!! I turned 56 this year, I`m sure I left in 69 ? Yeah we left the UK in 75 for SA and the rest is history, our oldest boy and family went to NZ 2 years ago, they`re in Aukland and doing well, we were there this time last year, lovely country. I don`t know if you remeber me Cath Regan or my sister Maureen ? Let me know.

Cheers