St. John Fisher School in the 1960's

Hi Philip, I went to St John Fishers from 1966-70, I've just read beautiful ze's

Story I hope he's a writer because that story took me back to those times,

I can remember most of the teachers mentioned mostly The older ones,

Especially Mr Davidson the History teacher when he got mad he'd throw the wooden blackboard rubber at you lol,

Mr Walsh with his 'brainwave' hair, and fat O'hara he'd wait for you to open the

Double doors (if you just opened one door he'd wait there until someone else opened the other one)

Our house looked on to the playing fields off of Badger Road

My name is John Pickford but everyone knew me as 'Piggy' I had a cousin in the year below me called Gerald or Gerry Pickford he played in goal for the schools football team.

When I left in the summer of 1970 there were just 4 in our class as everybody else had left at Easter

The 4 were:- Colin Griffin, Patrick Lomas, Michael (Mick) Arthur's and Myself.

Hi there, I was at St John Fisher, Woodhouse from the opening till 1968.. anyone there from that time??..

Cheers

Jim Doherty

Hi Jim I went from 66-70 :)

hi all, i attended sjf from 1967 / 1971. mr lyons was my form teacher when i was in 3e that's about all i can remember. the worst years of my life where spent there ever since a few dick heads found out i had the same surname as the headmaster (mr campbell) and decided i was his son (which i wasn't ) so continually beat the s@@t out of me - cheers guys for some wonderful childhood memories. who was the metalwork teacher back in those days? - he was a nice guy

Hi Neil C, the metalwork teachers name was Mr Varley everyone called him Charlie Barley, and Mr Pearson was the woodwork teacher,

I'm sorry I can't remember you, you was in the year below me, like you I got stuck with a nickname of Piggy,and so did my cousin Gerard Pickford (he was in your year)

---------- Post added 06-03-2017 at 04:20 ----------

Sorry that should be Charlie Varley

---------- Post added 06-03-2017 at 09:20 ----------

Hi all, as I've been reading all the stories about all of you, its strange that everyone seems to have left Sheffield/Yorkshire

I ended up going south (The start of Oct 79) to a place in Surrey called Woking with my job, we were descaling the sewer and top water pipes,

While I was down there I went to a Christmas party where I met Eileen (this was Christmas 1979), in the end I moved in with her and at the end of March 80 the contract had finished and the job was going back up north to York, I left the job and stayed down south, Eileen & myself got married 6 months from the day of meeting & just invited 12 friends & Michael Eileen's 10 year old son to the wedding we told our families after,

i got a job as a press operator I stuck that for a year then got a job with the Company Eileen was working for

British American Tobacco Co Ltd

I was there from 1981 to 2005, in 1993 I was made redundant so I got the big fat cheque on the Friday and on the Monday got my job back with the contractor, I was just a Handyman working in a 18 floor office block,

In 2005 we moved to be nearer Michael who had been to Aberdeen University, he said that it was so nice up there he was never going to live back down south, So after looking on the internet for about a year we decided to move up,

We've now been up here 12 years come next month.

We'll have been married 37 years come June and still happily married with a son and daughter in law to be proud of, & 3 Grandsons and 1 Granddaughter

John Pickford :)

hi johnny p. charlie varley now i remember him, thanks for that memory pal, he was about the only good thing about that school. i used to knock about with a kid called alan brown and we were the tallest in our year but that didn't stop me from getting bullied. i'm sure the culprits where in your year.

Hi Neil, its funny I wore glasses (still do) I never got picked on, and I was the kid who was useless at sports even picked cross country knowing full well the PE teacher would go for football and let all us useless boys go sit on the hill near the woods lol

I used to meet up with Billy Ellis and go to school with him, but after we left school I never saw any one again except Mick Arthur's, but now I'm friends with Frank Lindsay, Robert and Andy Cahill on Facebook :)

---------- Post added 06-03-2017 at 17:47 ----------

PS that's me in the profile picture aged 23, 1978 :)

---------- Post added 06-03-2017 at 17:48 ----------

Where you living now Neil ???

i remember frank lindsay pal we called him plug if i remember right and andy cahill sounds familliar

---------- Post added 06-03-2017 at 19:06 ----------

i got married in 76 and lived in whiston rotherham for 25 years then got fed up with life, sold the house and moved to gran canaria where we bought a bar (the crows nest) in puerto rico. we lived there for 2 years, my wife died and i came back to england with my tail between my legs almost broke. how do you put a photo on here pal?

Andy's quite famous at playing the saxaphone

I think he's still in Sheffield but his brother Robert is now in Australia,

I think Frank is still in Sheffield as well:)

---------- Post added 06-03-2017 at 20:41 ----------

Not got the foggiest mate I've never tried except for the profile picture,

Hi all, i enjoyed reading ze's account of his time there. I was there from 73-78. I remember most of the teachers mentioned and had a great laugh remembering back. My first form teacher was miss wearden, who taught french and married mr morton, the lucky man, lol. ms cable tore up one of my essays and threw the pieces in my face which i then had to pick up, lol. sad to hear she died at 25. My mates were, Rob webster ( crookes) Andy stewart, Rob duncan ( r.i.p ) mark walsh, a great bunch of lads off the wyborne, Rob foley, nigel smith, mick wainwright, baz creaser and others. I was off the pitsmoor/ burngreave, posh end of sheffield lol. If anyone knows where anyone is, or remembers me, please get in touch, regards Ged

This is very, very worrying for me. All you ex-pupils remembering so much from so long ago. I was a pupil at Hackenthorpe village school, St John Fisher junior, Herdings junior, Gleadless Valley Sec Mod and Central Technical from 1956 -1967 and I can only remember one teacher from that entire period and that's probably because he was a sadistic sod. Can't even remember who I sat next to in any class.... nor visualise any incidents that took place at school other than canings.

Strange thing is that I can remember, as if yesterday, playing out and family life from back then. :confused:

Hi Did anyone go to St John Fishers secondary school from 1971 to 1976 if so we are trying to organise a reunion

Hi Did anyone go to St John Fishers secondary school from 1971 to 1976 if so we are trying to organise a reunion

Hi Elaine, I went to St John Fishers at Woodhouse but unfortunately I was there from 1966 to 1970,

My niece went there and started around 1972-73, I think she was only there one or two years, then went to notra dam.

Her name was Jacqueline Oxley, then her sisters was Gail and Dawn, I'll let them know.

:banana::banana::banana:

My name is John Pickford, my cousin Gerald Pickford was in the year below me,

Edited by Johnny P