St. John Fisher School in the 1960's

28 minutes ago, BJl said:

Hi I'm asking for my work friend, as she is always talking about her school memories she is called Valerie (Val) long she attended this school and remembers the teachers and pupils.. She had blonde curly hair. please can anyone help me I would love to surprise her with this, thankyou. I think she said she left St John Fisher's in 69 .. She also went to St Thereses Catholic primary school. 

On 18/01/2019 at 19:42, MikeBradshaw said:

Hello Alan

Mike BRADSHAW here - someone mentioned you were a lawyer in the US?

I do remember John and also Neil Hollingsworth. In fact I regularly correspond with Neil via email. He lives in Vancouver and in 2009 my wife and I spent a day with him and his wife before embarking on an Alaskan cruise. He retired a few years ago and is enjoying life.

John passed an exam to go to the City Technical college didn’t he? I also passed that exam, but rather foolishly decided to stay at St John Fisher because I thought that I would have a better chance of making the Sheffield Boys U15 football team. It so happened that I became captain of the team and then went on to join Sheffield United. It would have been the same outcome had I moved to Central Tech - never mind!

If you read this post and want the email address for Neil, then I am sure that he would like to hear from you.

Best Wishes

Mike

Hi I'm trying to find out for a friend of mine from work if anyone remembers her, she is always talking about her school days and it would be great to hear if anyone knew her.. She is called Valerie long she had blonde curly hair and think she left John Fisher's in 1969 , she also went to St Thereses primary school. 

I was at both schools with valerie i think she lived on woodrove ave the bus was 112 outside ten town

On 07/05/2021 at 12:20, pete houghton said:

I was at both schools with valerie i think she lived on woodrove ave the bus was 112 outside ten town

Oh great news , Val works with me in Blackpool as a dinner lady, she is trying to get on this site, she got loads of memories to share as she talks about school days all the time ,thanks for answering 🙂

On 12/05/2021 at 13:36, pete houghton said:

no problem love to have a chat😀

High Pete       It's Val here sorry it took so long to reply  I remember you at school  but who did you knock about with I remember John g   arbor t     Paul hardy Keith  Palmer Tony Smith   Billy Hudson Keith docerty I knock about with Anne Thompson  Marie Biggins Ann-Marie O,mallet Jean Palmer  she was my badminton partner 

I have lived in Blackpool for over  forty years I like to hear back

Val

Just now, Vl69 said:

High Pete       It's Val here sorry it took so long to reply  I remember you at school  but who did you knock about with I remember John g   arbor t     Paul hardy Keith  Palmer Tony Smith   Billy Hudson Keith docerty I knock about with Anne Thompson  Marie Biggins Ann-Marie O,mallet Jean Palmer  she was my badminton partner 

Val

val  hope you well all the names i remeber do you remeber marie  else gillian allsopp john kennedy caretakers so  i knocked about with  neil hollingsworth  do remeber geoff dakin and marie riley they got married see them in pub  keep  safe   pete

I was at St J Fishers at Hackenthorpe from 1960 to 60  remember Mrs Finny she lived to a ripe old age as I was told and Mr Meelhia no idea how to spell that I loved that school and remember the Friday church service I hated that, ather Brown I think was his name 

On 22/11/2010 at 19:20, drumstick said:

I went to both SJF junior and secondary schools and remember Miss Curlys little friend she used to keep in her desk, she used to call it John Thomas and I remember it being a short, thick cane that used to hurt like he'll, I also remember Mr Hodges and his size 11 slipper on the back of my legs and also Mr Melia and his long thin cane that he used to keep in his cupboard in his office. I must have hade some sort of punishment from one of these guys at least once a week. Those were the days

Mr hodges was my last teacher before we left so many find memories there was,a lad,called Walter Smith I think  and another called roco demastro a girl called Diane gillian and Patricia Deighton in our class 

On 06/03/2017 at 04:18, Johnny P said:

Hi Neil C, the metalwork teachers name was Mr Varley everyone called him Charlie Barley, and Mr Pearson was the woodwork teacher,

I'm sorry I can't remember you, you was in the year below me, like you I got stuck with a nickname of Piggy,and so did my cousin Gerard Pickford (he was in your year)

---------- Post added 06-03-2017 at 04:20 ----------

Sorry that should be Charlie Varley

---------- Post added 06-03-2017 at 09:20 ----------

I was (rarely) at St JFs between  1967-71. I recall Varley pretty clearly. I'm sure he had diabetes because his breath always smelled of pear drops and he sweated profusely. I also recall the day one of the kids in his class punched him. Two of the lads were messing about with tools and one got cracked on the head by a small hammer. It was an accident, and stupid but still an accident and no-one was seriously hurt. Varley went OTT ape**** at the lad, who eventually told him to FO. Varley gave him a slap around the face for it and got a perfect punch in the jaw in return, then ran out of the metalwork room in tears. Five minutes later, O'Hara, Walsh, Adams and Campbell came bursting into the room rolling their sleeves up and looking for the lad. He'd already left, cool as cucumber, via the emergency exit after apologising to his mate. I can't recall seeing him after that tbh, but then I wasn't there that often.

I recall Pearson too who always wore his brown work coat, and who would hit you with whatever you were working on if you made a mistake, and it was tough if it was a chair leg. There were a lot of complaints about his brutality apparently, and rumour had it that someone's parents went into the school one day and into Campbells office looking to settle a score with him after he left marks on a kid.

Can't say I enjoyed it there at all. Except when I told Joe Lyons to go **** himself, in front of a class, after I'd just been fighting with a prefect and as I walked out of school.

On 06/03/2017 at 04:18, Johnny P said:

On 20/05/2021 at 15:05, Vl69 said:

Val

Loooong time since I've been on here! I remember most of those from St Theresa's. The only people from there I've been in touch with recently are Elizabeth Osborne and Paul Feetham.

I bumped into John Garbutt a few years ago, he was living in Suffolk and I saw Gerard Desforges when he was working for Sheffield College, that would be around 2000.

I should have gone to St John Fisher's but my records were wrong and after a bit of a fight with the authorities I went to St Paul's where I had a great time for five years.

Michael Dolby