Good things to talk about at Speed Dating

Originally posted by Sidla

Just say yes to all of them next time :hihi:

Sounds like a plan! ;)

Seriously though - speed dating sounds like the ideal thing for people like me (shy single people who are hopeless at meeting people) but unfortunately I wouldn't ever dare go to one!

Unfortunately I can't imagine a worse nightmare for me than going to something like this... am sure it would be really good but the (annoyingly loud) voice in my head keeps saying "what if they all laugh at you" and such.

Congrats to you for going though slim - and more so for saying you'll go again. Good luck for next time!

Originally posted by craigb

Sounds like a plan! ;)

Seriously though - speed dating sounds like the ideal thing for people like me (shy single people who are hopeless at meeting people) but unfortunately I wouldn't ever dare go to one!

To be frank, I'm not sure it is a good way for shy people to meet people.

I used to be very shy, and the thought of meeting 20 or so women all on one evening would have seemed horrendous to me.

I must admit I'm kinda curious about this whole thing.

You guys that have been - where there any lasses there you'd were genuinely attracted to? What type of people does such an event get?

I suppose what I'm getting it is would you recommend it as an alternative to stella artois, town and the Leadmill? Or would you leave it unless you ain't had much success elsewhere?

I not trying to say owt about people that go before anyone gets the wrong idea - like I say I am genuinely curious about it.

Originally posted by craigb

am sure it would be really good but the (annoyingly loud) voice in my head keeps saying "what if they all laugh at you" and such.

In a situation like speed dating everyone is in the same boat so i doubt anyone would be laughing, theyd all be worried about making a good impression themselves! If you went and did mess up the first time what is the worst that will happen? Someone youve never met before and probably never will again gets a laugh, the thought of it is worse than doing it imo

As a shy man myself I don't find it as daunting as the idea of going up to a girl in a bar. I suppose that is because it is more structured and the girls know you will be talking to them - thus no danger of them thinking 'what is HE doing approaching me?'

As for whether it is an alternative to clubs/bars I would say it is more of an addition than an alternative - another string to your bow as it were.

I would say that I could fancy about 50% of the girls there, which is not a bad average considering you only need one girl out of them to fancy you (although in this case it didn't happen). However, I have been to two different speed dating nights in two different places and in the first one I would say I fancied only about three out of 18 girls there. In other words, I would say, it depends very much on the venue and age group as to what percentage of fanciable girls there will be. Although, beauty is very much in the eye of the beholder so it is hard to say that other people would agree with this.

• 2 weeks later...

I was hoping some of you might be able to help me? I want to find out more about speed dating for a feature I'm writing (I'm a journalism student) and would really like to speak to somebody who has been in Sheffiled area?

Archived