New arena in Leeds

If Leeds get an arena then Sheffield can say goodbye to all the goods bands that frequently come our way.

Say no to Leeds Arena!

My thoughts completely! It's crazy to have two such huge venues within such a short distance. I think bands will start going to Leeds too. If Yorkshire Forward is supposed to benefit the whole region why can't it use the money to give Leeds something that isn't duplicated 40 miles away?

Good look to Leeds with their Arena, every other major city has one, so why shouldn't they, sheffield has had an easy ride for 18 years and a bit of competion never hurt no one.

You don't hear Manchester moaning about it, and they are not two far from Leeds. And how come Betts did'nt complain when Nottingham got their arena?

He is proberly miffed that he was stupid enough to pay £35 millon back in 1989/90 to build ours in the back of beyond when most cities build their Arena's in the centre to attract business, just like the NIA in Birmingham which was built around the same time as ours.

PS Is ours paid for yet!

PPS It's not as though we get to see that many bands in Sheffield it always seams to be Ice related productions.

PPPS Why do the road signs around our city still say Hallam FM Arena, when its now called Sheffield Arena? Not fare giving Hallam free adverts, let galexy have some as well!

Surely it means all the really big bands will go to Leeds instead soon.

Not necessarily, as I said back on page 1, they'd get less crowds at Leeds, it's only 12,000 seats, Sheffield Arena's a 13,500 seater.

Although having said that, usually a smaller venue means smaller prices, so folk might be enticed up to Leeds if the price is right.

Most of the whining about the funding of the prospective Leeds Arena seems to be coming from Clive Betts. Yorkshire Forward are also part-funding the redevelopment of the Crucible Theatre - do you think Betts will also be suggesting that this should not proceed as it may have an effect on the revenue of other theatres in Yorkshire?

But the crucible is already there and has been for years so doesn't really come into the equation. Personally I think if leeds want an arena build one but it should not be funded by Yorkshire forward.

Good look to Leeds with their Arena, every other major city has one, so why shouldn't they, sheffield has had an easy ride for 18 years and a bit of competion never hurt no one.

You don't hear Manchester moaning about it, and they are not two far from Leeds. And how come Betts did'nt complain when Nottingham got their arena?

He is proberly miffed that he was stupid enough to pay £35 millon back in 1989/90 to build ours in the back of beyond when most cities build their Arena's in the centre to attract business, just like the NIA in Birmingham which was built around the same time as ours.

PS Is ours paid for yet!

PPS It's not as though we get to see that many bands in Sheffield it always seams to be Ice related productions.

PPPS Why do the road signs around our city still say Hallam FM Arena, when its now called Sheffield Arena? Not fare giving Hallam free adverts, let galexy have some as well!

He probably didn't complain because Yorkshire Forward didn't contribute to the building costs of Nottinghams Arena.

Perhaps "a bit of competition never hurt no one" but I enjoy seeing bands at Sheffield Arena (and I've seen plenty there over the last 17 years or so) and it's really nice to be able to get to such a huge arena in a relatively short amount of time (and therefore stand a chance of getting a parking space), see the band and be home again also, in a reasonable amount of time. The thought of having to trail up to Leeds & home again is not a good one....

I have no problem with Leeds having their own arena just as long as their council pay for it and Yorkshire Forward don't contribute.

I think there is room for both arenas,Liverpool's Arena is relatively recent and has attracted plenty of top bands even with it's proximity to Manchester.

Theres no reason why top bands can't visit both Sheffield and Leeds.