Where to get chickens for a low reasonable price in Sheffield

um sure somebody must know of a reasonably priced place to chickens in Sheffield or surrounding cities.

I've seen prices as high as £22 for a hen and hear of dream purhases or 10p, but can't seem to did any for myself.

Can anybody advise!

There is another thread on here devoted to the subject of rescued battery hens, the next rescue is in Dec but you must make your adoption requirements and small donation known in advance. You can have as many as you like. http://www.Hr-rescue.co.uk

I rescued 4 and they are absolutely brilliant...Jobi1 is the key administrator for this project.

I suppose you could buy pedigree hens at £20 each but the feeling of actually saving a hen's life is second to none, plus you get the benefit of fresh eggs everyday.

that's eggzactly :) what I was thinkin off.

Thanks

Please help the ex battery hens rather than buy from breeders. Battery hens live a life of misery and suffering x

My little girl's teacher was certainly impressed this morning when she got half a doz eggs from our girl's.....may have started a new project there!

Battery hen's are good for education too...:) which can only be a good thing!

Oh and another plus point, these hen's are bred to produce lot's of eggs in vast numbers, you rescue one at a year old when it's deemed useless by the battery farm, she will soon get her feathers back with a little care and she'll lay you eggs for another ten years.

Made me laugh though this morning...out of the 3 who are laying at the moment, one decided to do a very tiny minature egg, this one is no bigger than a quails but will still do a decent egg and bacon butty!

Im already headed in the battery hen direction, I think its a BRILLIANT idea.

Ive already got 3 rescue cats, and a rescue doggie.

I was a little disappointed that there is not enough coordinators to have a dedicated Sheffield representative,it looks like Lincolnshire is the nearest.

thanks for the info :thumbup:

great that you are thinking of battery hens, id do this if i had somewhere for them, ive often thought about having an alottment and hens. id love to watch them thrive and be happy with new found freedom it must be lovely to see. annax

Ahhhhhhhh if I had a garden bigger than my postage stamp I would gladly take on loads of the battery hens!

Hi Zerocool, I'm Jo the Co-ordinator for Sheffield for Hen Rehomers UK (formerly North London Hen Rescue). Have a look around our website by clicking on my link and if you have any questions feel free to ask, pm, or come and see me and my ladies.

You can also get hens via http://www.bhwt.org.uk (who's site I think you must have been on as John in Lincs is their nearest co-ordinator, and incidentally where I got my first four hens from), or you can get POL (point of lay - approx 18 week old) hens from http://www.storrspoultry.co.uk or http://www.rawgreencottages.co.uk if you did want to pay a fair amount or wanted pure breds.

Ex batt hens are approx. 72 weeks old when we get them from the farmer rather than them going to slaughter. At that age they enter their first moult and egg production and uniformity reduces so they become economically unviable and are replaced. But as Puddinburner says with a bit of good feed and TLC they soon start laying again, and bigger eggs too!

I'm not too sure when our next rescue will be, it was due to be December but at the moment egg prices are quite high so farmers are hanging onto their stock a little longer, but please bear with us, nobody gets forgotten.

If I can help further please just ask but search for other chickeny threads as there's loads of good info on there.

:)