Snake in the garden

My son went out yesterday into his garden in Oughtibridge and found a Grass snake coiled up on his lawn, he first thought it was some animal droppings. He later released it away from the houses. Anyone else found one in Sheffield recently?

My dad was walking the dog with my young un along Claywheels lane and they found a snake basking in the sun just at the start of Beeley Wood. It was about 2 foot long and was brown with some yellow in it.

By the time my daughter got her phone out to take a pic the dog scared it off.

My dad was walking the dog with my young un along Claywheels lane and they found a snake basking in the sun just at the start of Beeley Wood. It was about 2 foot long and was brown with some yellow in it.

By the time my daughter got her phone out to take a pic the dog scared it off.

http://www.forestry.gov.uk/forestry/Adder

I'm sure the daughter said it was thin like a lace, I will ask her later.

I've never heard of Adders coming right into Sheffield but I suppose that route through the woods would bring them right in.

I know a kid from school that got bit by a adder and that was in stocksbridge.

I saw an adder in Ecclesall woods earlier this summer. I would have thought it's getting a bit cold for them now but I suppose they may still bask in the sun in a sheltered spotIt's the first one I've ever seen anywhere round here.

Aren't Adders the nasty ones? They're good at maths as well aren't they? Being Adders and all?

Er, yeh... Rubbish joke, I'll wake up eventually..

*gets coat*

^^ :hihi:

I have yet to see a snake around Sheffield, adders and grass snakes not totally un-common in the peak i don't think. Seen them down in Cornwall etc.

Did however see a bird in the garden that wasn't like the normal birds we get around here, after a fair bit of research found out it was the Grey patridge, and we only live just off Ecclesall Road :huh:

A friend sent me a pic not long back of one she`d seen at rother valley, it was massive, just sliding along the path.

Aren't Adders the nasty ones? They're good at maths as well aren't they? Being Adders and all?

Er, yeh... Rubbish joke, I'll wake up eventually..

*gets coat*

Lol adders are not not nasty there venomous and only usually bite/strike when threatened or provoked and grass snakes are constrictors but may still bite when handled.I myself never saw a grass snake until one day next to the river rother and saw two of them and since then i have seen two more while fishing at various places.Adders have diamond shapes along there body and a wideish head because venom glands and grass snakes have a yellow collar round there neck and are a lot longer i think they can grow to about 4-5 feet in length

I saw an Anoconda in the Don :P

was probably fishing, a lot of eastern europeans have been seen down near the canal bason too.