Dusty Springfield in Sheffield

Yes I know, but really made his name in the south notably Sunday night at the London Palladium. However, he came up to Rotherham to do a show at the club on Wortley Rd ( name of which escapes me). He completely died on his backside, ending his 'spot' early saying, '' If that doesn't make you laugh, then bo##**ks'' and walked off.

These so called 'stars' came here thinking they were going to show us something special. We already had far superior comics doing the WMC's and people had seen it all before. Funnier.

Club on Wortley Road Rotherham was called the Oasis

I am not sure you are right about Max Bygraves, I saw him one Sunday night at the Cavendish and it wasnt the week it opoened it was later. I never liked him on TV or on film (he made a few) but to be honest remember him being a pretty good cabaret act.

I can assure you that dusty springfield was never on at the cavendish not ever

and the first week it opened it was headlined by max byraves who stated to the press the following day that " sheffield was not ready for nightclubs" and from that day on he never appeared in sheffield again. and he never even completed the booking for the rest of the week.

I saw Roger Whittaker at the Cav. There was about 13 people there in total. It was embarassing.

was it a good gig though ? i like his voice old durham town and the last farewell still favourites from my youth .

I am not sure you are right about Max Bygraves, I saw him one Sunday night at the Cavendish and it wasnt the week it opoened it was later. I never liked him on TV or on film (he made a few) but to be honest remember him being a pretty good cabaret act.

Saw him in Joburg at colliseum,I was 22 and to be honest wasn't bad.

I saw Dusty Springfield at Sheffield City Hall in 1963 and still have the autographed programme.