Sign in to follow this  

Message board abbreviations?!

I may be a bit behind the times here, but don't quite understand the lingo yet. What does ROLFMAO mean? And similar?

Just about worked out what lol means, and imho. Though you never know, I could have a completely different interpretation than what they are actually meant to mean?

Not particularly old but new to this messaging thing. I never even use abbreviations in texting, and am a stickler for the old apostrophe!

Am always slightly embarrased by my postings on here, as I use a new laptop which doesn't have a mouse, and it's difficult to type on (was once 100wpm typist!!). I look back on messages with missing commas etc and cringe! Am I being too sad???!!!

By the way has anyone seen the latest Emmerdale advert? The music is a song which has words like "day's dawning, skin's crawling" and it's driving me mad because I can't remember what it is? Would post on "Ask an Expert" but it seems to have disappeared . . . . .

:D

oops, just had to edit as I spotted a missing a comma:lol:

MHOTY, GBU, TVM;)

Got a certificate for French and German, do I now get one for messageboardology?

Not quite sure I'll ever use ICL (In Christian Love) though:lol:

ROFLMFAO = rolling on floor laughing my f***ing a$$ off.

I had it all explained to me by some teenagers at work. They thought was hillarious to have to explain their normal daily "chat speak" to a mature lady like me. Oh well :roll:

I gave up on chat rooms cos I couldn't keep up.

It's a foreign language!

A few years ago I read someone has used such abbreviations in their English exam and got an A because it was an original concept.

mmm... Just like kittyKat says.... lazy

A few years ago I read someone has used such abbreviations in their English exam and got an A because it was an original concept.

That's ridiculous!!

Was it literature or language? I hope it wasn't English language because that's defeating the object of the entire subject! If I was an examiner I would have given them a big fat U! (or maybe I'm just too serious about my English...)

I have to admit though, I do have to stop and think when I'm writing an essay because I have a tendancy to put things like "prolly" "spose" and "4get" without thinking about it!

Originally posted by caprice

I hope it wasn't English language because that's defeating the object

Sorry to be a pain and move off the subject, isn't it defeating the 'objectIVE'?

It wouldn't be defeating an object would it?