Fishing without a licence! Is this common?

Why should they put up signs saying you need a licence you need one for ALL waters except the sea.They should however put up signs saying dont take fish.

I find it incomprehensible that people think it's acceptable to just go along and start fishing a public river and sneak around public parks in the night trapping wildfowl :huh:

I mean, would you even think of doing it, if you you went to live or holiday in another country? *thinks bubble* oh yeah I'll just go down to the local park and grab a swan for dinner and one for next door whilst I'm at it*:rolleyes:

........They should however put up signs saying dont take fish.

Why?

If you have your License and Permit, you can take fish (within the regional byelaws).

only on fisheries that allow it, if i went to wentworth where we fish and caught a 30lb carp and took it home, then id be up for theft, illegal fish migration and probably beat up by every angler on there.

even on trout fisheries you can only take so many fish and of a certain size.

I dare say i agree with the majority on this one so far...the canals and rivers in the uk are public places..with little or no boundary..if these chaps (whatever nationality they may be) want to catch and eat fish, then so be it..big wow.. they didn't pay £3.50 for a day licence...i'm sure of they knew.. they would have been more than willing to pay it....

I dont often see the requirement for a fishing license clearly displayed...

Fair enough if this was fish taken from a private fishery..then that is obviously another matter...

Incidentally...did the OP bother to ask them if they had a license or explain that one would be required...?

Don't tell me...they didn't speak a word of English eh ?!!

Fishermen are allowed to kill only two freshwater coarse fish a day using a rod and line, and using large nets or fixed-rod lines to catch large numbers is illegal.

no matter where you fish you need a fishing licence from the national rivers association. some ponds/lakes allow you to fish for free but you still need a licence. certain parts of the canal are free rest are syndicate which means youll be paying £300+ to fish it. some fisheries are syndicate too.

the fact of the matter is these 4 men should have had valid licences and a ticket to fish, if tickets are required where they were fishing, if not they were breaking the law in that itself. as for taking the fish that comes under illegal fish migration laws, unless its stated that any fish of a certain size can be taken. the humane thing to do on this occasion if your going to eat what you catch is give it a quick and painless death. not leave it on the bank side to breath in air and die slowly of suffication.

http://www.fao.org/DOCREP/005/W0318E/W0318E20.htm

key points from this site...

Anglers wishing to fish require both a rod licence from the NRA and consent from the owner of the fishing rights, usually provided by a day permit or angling club Anglers wishing to fish require both a rod licence from the NRA and consent from the owner of the fishing rights, usually provided by a day permit or angling club membership ticket. Management of the fisheries is a balance between NRA regulatory activity and direct control by the riparian owner. Methods of regulation to both protect fish stocks and enhance fishery performance are described by Hickley et al (1995) and utilize Acts of Parliament, byelaws, fishery rules and voluntary codes of good practice.

In general, all coarse fish taken by angling are returned to the water after capture. Keep nets are normally used to retain the catch for the duration of the fishing session, especially if the fish need to be weighed at the end of a contest.

Careful handling of fish, state of the art designs for keep nets and the use of barbless hooks are examples of how anglers are able to contribute to fish welfare. Similarly, problems with litter, bankside damage, discarded terminal tackle and disturbance to wildlife could all be addressed if the minority of offenders adopted the caring attitude of the majority.

A Rod Licence is required when fishing for freshwater fish, eels, Salmon or Sea Trout anywhere in England or Wales and out to 6 miles at sea.

Any angler deemed to be fishing for these whether in marine, tidal or freshwater will need to ensure they are licenced for them, whether or not they have caught.

For enforcement, the Agency will consider whether the angler is fishing at a location and with a method liable to catch these species.

If so they will enforce the licence requirement.

then to clarify the original post of this thread, and those who jumped on the racial band wagon there is this thread for you to read.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-440226/Signs-warn-Polish-anglers-stop-eating-carp.html

so no matter how you want to look upon his first post wether as a racial abusive comment towards the polish, or as i did a genuine question as to does this really happen? as it was probably the first time he had seen or heard of it then i think the above link will answer that question for you. it will also show those who think there is nothing wrong with it that it IS illegal not just morally buit lawfully.

I have fished for numberous years, poaching, is on the increase and yes I am sorry to say it appears to be our friends for the former Eastern block - thats what the prosecutions tend to reflect.

Only yesterday I heard that in Rotherham a spit was found on the river bank with the carcuss of a Swan still on it and numerous ducks laid around it. Forgive me if I am wrong but arent Swans a protected species ?

Death Rig

The hook length about was found in West Yorkshire over the last few days, hardly what you call a humane way to catch fish.

only on fisheries that allow it, if i went to wentworth where we fish and caught a 30lb carp and took it home, then id be up for theft, illegal fish migration and probably beat up by every angler on there.

even on trout fisheries you can only take so many fish and of a certain size.

This thread is about the River Don.

This thread is about the River Don.
I think the debate has moved on a little since the op about the specific location. It's now quite obvious that largescale poaching of fish and killing of other wildlife is a problem.

Trying to divert focus with comments about the people responsible being "of swarthy appearance" which is about the only prejudiced comment on here and nitpicking about locations is a poor argument.

Our concern should be about the welfare of the fish and other river wildlife wherever it takes place, on the Don or in Hillsborough Park, it's irrelevant. When illegal acts are taking place we should all be concerned.

If it was quad bikes in the woods, we'd all be up in arms?

When illegal acts are taking place we should all be concerned.

As much as I think that the OP is probably correct to be concerned, there has been no evidence of an illegal act.

Fish=food, get over it. :rolleyes:

This has become a National problem.

There are places where you can with the appropriate payment, fish for food.

Most fishing is replenished and paid for through clubs and the licensing system.

The system in the UK for donkey’s years has been that fishing is a sport; you catch the fish then release it to fight again.

People from Eastern European backgrounds are taking all the fish with out replenishment; we will soon have no fish left.

If we do not enforce our laws on individuals, just because they have a different system or culture where they originate from we will have a fractured society; with all the hatred and racial disharmony that occurred in Europe in the thirties.

We seem to be heading towards the same economic failings, so if we let aply our laws fairly we could end up back where we where, but this time without the moral back bone we once had.

As much as I think that the OP is probably correct to be concerned, there has been no evidence of an illegal act.

catching fish on the don and throwing them behind you to die is an illegal act .

this was stated in the first post .

catching fish on the don and throwing them behind you to die is an illegal act .

this was stated in the first post .

I would like someone to show the law that is being broken.

Is there a specific restriction in the River Don Permits?