Jamie Oliver disrespectful to Rotherham?

shihtzumad

I like this programme and I think last nights programme was much more positive. I don't think the programme particularly intended to show Rotherham in a bad light, just the state of society in general. I am sure he could have picked any town and come up with a group of similar people.

His idea is a good one, what is wrong with what he is trying to do? he can be a bit patronising but I think his heart is in the right place. Kids should be taught basic cooking in school (chilli, curries, stews pasta sauce etc). I used to work with young people in supported housing and none of them could cook. They had just never been shown. You can eat fresh, healthy food quite cheaply aswell, I don't agree with the cost thing.

I was a bit cynical as it never say's where to find the recipes he shows. I thought you would have to buy the book but I have just looked on his website & they are all on there. None of them seem to have any particularly expensive ingredients.

The miner was great!!!!! such a positive thing - made a change from last week! Wasn't so chuffed with "if it dunt involve a chip pan he's got noooooo chance - we like us chips in rotherham"

He was brilliant - watching him get excited by cooking made me want to get in the kitchen and start whipping up a lasagne!

Natasha was also truly inspirational. Seeing her grow her own vegetables was brilliant, and probably far more than Oliver ever hoped for when he started. If nothing else, the programme has at least had a positive impact on the lives of some of those involved.

Maybe next week they'll highlight the point that lack of cookery skills isn't just a class issue - there's plenty of folk with disposable income and comfortable lives who can't be arsed cooking for their kids too. I really admire what he's trying to do - I just wish he'd get shut of that miserable gobby woman, who seems to cause nothing but disharmony and pour scorn on what he's trying to do. I want it to work if only to wipe the smug grin off her face!!

I really admire what he's trying to do - I just wish he'd get shut of that miserable gobby woman, who seems to cause nothing but disharmony and pour scorn on what he's trying to do. I want it to work if only to wipe the smug grin off her face!!

You mean Julie Critchlow, the woman who passed burgers etc through the school gates when he did his school diners campaign. I agree she down talks all his ideas, what he needs are posotive people who really want to learn to cook and pass it on to their family and friend. OK if she thinks it won't work that's her opinion, stop following him round then or is that because she wants her face on TV? I admire what he's trying to do and I also admire the people who are trying to change their cooking skills and ways of life, it's not an easy thing to change something your so used to in life. Like the 80 odd year old bloke, his Mum probably cooked for hima nd his wife will have picked up where she left off so to start cooking in your 80's when you have never even peeled a potato before is a really hard task, well done to him I say, as some old people are so stuck in their ways they's have never tried but him he's trying and without Jamie would he have done?

the school fence woman?? she was a stirring sod wasn't she!! Must admit made me want to cook then my mum brought out a lovely home made casserole and i thought well i'll let her feed me before i head home!! Ok Mr Oliver can come across like a little pious about the whole thing at times but he has a point. I'm still working on getting rid of all the weight i gained vfrom living on a convenience (or should that be rotherham) diet when i was studdying whilst working shifts. i turned into a right porker from sitting on my ass and eating rubbish cos i was too tired to bother cooking. wish i'd taken more time rather than spending the last couple of years trying to get my waist back to normal (which it thankfully now is!!). And after growing my own tomatoes i reackon home grown stuff is way nicer than the shop stuff too!!

OK he may talk funny (and not just cos he's a southerner) but he has a point does Jamie.

Still smiling about how excited the miner seemed about cooking bless him

Fast food is much cheaper than freshly cooked, I'm sure a meal of Fish & Chips is much cheaper than buying a fresh piece of fish,all the salad ingredients, and some fresh fruit, unless you catch your own fish and grow all your own fruits and veg, also the gas to cook it with.

No it's not!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! 2 quid for a good piece of cod from the fishmongers as opposed to nearly 4 quid in the chippy. In the fish and chip example the margin is tight, and if you charge for your own time and inconvenience the price might be about the same but other examples.. I'm going to make a lamb and spinach curry tonight and it will serve 4 people. I reckon it comes to £7.50 all in (ic rice) and thats only because I bought expensive lamb for it!