Sheffield's nightclubs - do you remember...?

The club above the skates was called Samanthas in the 70s and changed to Stars in the 80s. Fantastic Northern Soul All Nighters were held at Samanthas

hey anybody remember the top rank what is now the roxy what about the beir keller had some brilliant nights in there hoofenbrauhs I think it was called then there was tramps what about rebels then the penthouse and the limit then there was the merrie england bar what use to be under the black swan baileys was a good place to go to one of my favourite places to go was uriah heeps had many a good rock night in there did some body mention the crazy daisy that was one hell of a weird place the first time I went in there was to be my last I remember seeing michael jacksons thriller on the video wall there and I also saw this guy get stabbed in the toilets so it was neck the drink and out fast.

I had my 18th birthday party at the Fiesta in 1971. Saw Johnny Johnson and the bandwagon and ate chicken in a basket

Originally posted by Chris M

In the late 60's used to go down to the then LOCARNO

on Sunday nights.

Remember the DJ was called "Mighty Atom" and I think

the guy was only small 4 - 5 ft.

Never got too close to the decks.

Anyone else remember him ?

Yes I used to go out with him .Do you know if hes still around.

Originally posted by Strix

I can't be the oldest rocker here, can I? How about Rebels? And Monday night Roxys? Around '89-'93. Oops, now you know how old I am!

nah mate, u not the oldest, was it the 1st monday in the month ROCK NIGHT at roxy's and Rebels was my home for a few yrs remember BOB the dj there? age catching up now .... it may have been ROB

Originally posted by Damon

When I was of an age to go underage clubbing (mid 80s), 'Tiffanys' was called Vicars (not forgetting the upstairs bit which was called The Treetops Suite where, if you danced too vigorously, the record jumped and the DJ bellowed "Don't knock the console!").

These days of course, it's quite a prestigious club owned by the Gatecrasher people, and it's called Bed.

In between times it's been variously called Le Palais (when it was a stalwart of Sheffield's early nineties rave scene), The Music Factory (when it became the first mid-nineties Sheffield club to really compete with the serious clubbing giants of Leeds, Manchester and Liverpool - its flagship night was the glam house Love To Be...), and Club Generation (about which I have no knowledge whatsoever).

Iv'e been to it when it was the locarno - saw a metal band (the members were only something like 10 years old)

La palais (i went every tuesdays night for the student night (ozric tentacles, nine inch nails, levellers etc etc) i was there that often the manager joked that he was going to put me my own beer tap in :) aswell as a few times on the rave nights ) and i also went to the music factory a few times when it was hardcore rave.

this is my first ever post on here after searching for animal kwackers and finding this site :)

im from sheffield but sadly live away now, thought id say hi

I also used to visit rebels and roxys rock nights quite a bit, and used to drink in the yorkshireman and wap too :)

I notice with pleasure that another person has joined the forum who remembers drinking in the wap and the Yorkshiremans Arms which were my two watering holes . For all those newbies reading this though I thought I'd mention that there is a site with loads of pics, diagrams and descriptions of Rebels butam feeling too idle to put up the link so you'll have to do a search or check some of my previous posts, sorry!

Originally posted by WallBuilder

I notice with pleasure that another person has joined the forum who remembers drinking in the wap and the Yorkshiremans Arms which were my two watering holes . For all those newbies reading this though I thought I'd mention that there is a site with loads of pics, diagrams and descriptions of Rebels butam feeling too idle to put up the link so you'll have to do a search or check some of my previous posts, sorry!

*looks around*

aaaahhh me? lol

I used to drink every friday / Saturday in the wap without fail for years... i used to have a green mohican, later in green dreads, i always used to sit near the pinball table or around the corner with the thrashers near the pool table.

yeah i saw that rebels site, i think the links in the limit thread cos i searched some other pubs / clubs

found it, i had saved the limit link :)

http://www.rocknroll.f9.co.uk/pubs/rebels.html

i was the resident dj at samanthas for 6 years. my name was and still is Ian Irish Ireland, now living and working in Tenerife. pleased that people still remember a truly remarkable club and time in Sheffield History...

Originally posted by mikosavi

no-one has mentioned heart beat at the top of the skates on queens road, or new faces in town.

Wasn't that called Samamtha's? (spelling) and the other was was just called faces?

THe heartbeat was there before Sams. If you have seen the paper latleyt there has been an artist called chris crossley in and ot of the news. That was a dj called Mighty Atom got to be better as a painter.

Originally posted by WallBuilder

I notice with pleasure that another person has joined the forum who remembers drinking in the wap and the Yorkshiremans Arms which were my two watering holes .

I used to go in the Wap in the late 70s, went the first time when I was 15 and used to drink vodka and lime. Having been in loads of times in the evening, my friend and I once decided to go in on a Saturday lunch, aged 17. We ordered two chip butties and a coke each. Halfway down the chip butty someone told us to drink up and leave because we were underage. We thought this was hilarious because we had been going in for two years and drinking vodka, and the one time we ordered a coke we were asked to leave! We obviously had more make up etc on in an evening. We tried to argue that even if we were underage it was quite legal to go in and drink coke, but it didnt work!

Happy days ... :hihi: