Steelworks stamper??? What does it mean?

Hello all!

I wonder if anyone can help - I've found this on a birth certificate - someone whose job description is a 'steelworks stamper' - does anyone know what this would involve or what it is?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I couldn't find anything on the internet.

Many thanks,

Abbie

They worked in the administration department of a foundry and organised the weighing of the outgoing mail and affixing the correct postage.

It was regarded as a cushy number but often reserved for long tongued ladies.

Really? I thought it was something really tough! Thanks for that.

Not so sure about your answer cgksheff, abbie07, a steelworks stamper, could also be a press forge operative which back in the days was a tough job, check out some forging videos on youtube and you will see, not many left in Sheffield now !

I would have said he was the man who forged stampings in the forges.

Thanks guys. Think I may have been a bit blonde on the first answer! I've had a look on the internet and have got a bit more of an idea now. I need to get my head around so I can explain it to a 9 year old! x

Oops! Thanks, i just worked that out! Oh dear - very blonde I'm afraid! x

You could get him one of those badge makers from a craft shop and tell him that it's the same process but stamping shapes into hot metal

Hello all!

I wonder if anyone can help - I've found this on a birth certificate - someone whose job description is a 'steelworks stamper' - does anyone know what this would involve or what it is?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. I couldn't find anything on the internet.

Many thanks,

Abbie

I work in the steel industry and we still employ stampers. After a piece of steel (an ingot) is rolled into a billet and sawn to length it needs to be identified with a unique number. that number is impressed into the end of the billet with a metal stamp and a sledge hammer. the work is hot and heavy when the mill is working quickly. Two men do the work as a team checking the billet, its ID and preparing the stamp, one man holds the stamp against the end of the still red hot billet and the other man swings the hammer, permanently marking the billet.