5D Mark II details released

Grissom

To be honest, I've always been surprised that two devices with many shared design features - semi-pro / pro cameras and camcorders - have never been combined.

Maybe a few generations down the line they'll have worked out how to bring both up to scratch under an intuitive interface. Maybe.

Doubt the video on this one will be good for any more than casual use.

I would imagine that you would need to use a tripod for any video usage, handheld at that size would be pretty shakey.
A tripod is the norm for filming anyway. It's usually magnification that makes for shaky pics not size, besides small video cameras can be less usuable as weight/size dampens user movement.

What will be more of an issue is ergonomics as you how you hold camera makes a difference and not being able to use viewfinder will be a real pain.

I can see a market in aftermarket grips and stocks to manage camera when videoing.

From a commercial side (Wedding and Portrait) the video is something I'd have been more than happy not to pay for. It's the raw power and FF that I'm intersted in.

With the lenses we use, I'd struggle to get any decent video after 2 minutes of holding it steady. A body + 70-200mm f2.8 L + 580 EX II usually does me after a few stills!

On the flip side the CMOS is going to be so similar now that it makes sense, and with the range of lenses almost every situation is taken care of.

As Crayfish says, maybe a few generations on we'll have a great camaera for both, but at the moment, just an updated FF with low noise (and an EF lens attachement!) would have done me.

Oh, and as for the anti-dust... Try changing a lens Blue (5 lenses, 2 bodies and a range of conditions) and anit-dust makes a lot of sense. CMOS cleans at Harrisons aren't cheap! :-)

Oh, and as for the anti-dust... Try changing a lens Blue (5 lenses, 2 bodies and a range of conditions) and anit-dust makes a lot of sense. CMOS cleans at Harrisons aren't cheap! :-)

Yes I've changed lenses using two bodies at a time and as I say it's something (anti-dust) I can live without ;)

Other people have claimed the worst thing about the 5D is problems with dust.

I'm careful, yet still get the odd bit of dust on sensor, so sensor cleaning is certainly useful.

Something else to consider, if only the features that were added were the ones that nobobdy objected too, there would be no new features. At all.