Nursery queries and recommendations

That would be great, thank you. Other option is over in the Ecclesall area

Hi Amy they wouldnt give out much info but are defo opening one, i think around somewhere with valley in it i think, hope this helps your very brave starting a business at the moment good luck

That's very helpful - thanks again for asking!! It could either be Valley Road in Meersbrook or Gleadless Valley just on the other side..? I'm only in research stage at the mo - could be a while before anything happens!

Hi all,

I was wondering if anyone has any recommendations for a nursery in or near to S7? We will be looking for a place in September so think we should start thinking about it now as don't want to miss out on a good nursery. They must be able to take a 3 month old as that's how old our daughter will be then. I know not all nursery's take them this young. We would only need a place one day a week as don't want to overburden the grandparents who will be looking after her the rest of the week while I am at work.

We might also consider a nursery closer to town, as I will be travelling into work there anyway... but don't want to get tangled up in too much traffic just to do this, so would probably have to be close to Glossop road / west street end as this is where I work.

Any help is much appreciated. :)

Kingswood nursery in S17 is really good I know its not S7 but not a million miles away.

I haven't got children but friends have used Scallywags on Moncrieffe Road and I think were happy with them. Not sure about ages but they have a babies and toddlers group, so might be what you're looking for.

My Grandaughter went to Scallywags from the age of 3 and she loved it there. Again, I'm not sure about ages but they do have a babies group and I have seen the girls who work there bottlefeeding and changing nappies. We had no reason for complaint at all there and my Grandaughter is still friends with quite a few little people she met there even though they all went on to different schools.

Children 1st @ Breedon House, Scotland Street in Town.

I couldn't recommend their baby room enough, excellent staff in place with lots of experience, take babies from 6 weeks and really can't do enough for your baby.

I hope that you found a nursery. My children went to Scallywags and they are able to take children from 6 weeks old. I know that their baby unit is in high demand so you might want to call them sooner rather than later and see if they have a space for a 3 month old. The baby area has it's own outdoor space and is lovely. Good Luck :)

We are going to see some tomorrow afternoon with the hope of booking a place in the next week. The 3 we are looking at are Treetops Day Nursery on Psalter Lane, Hamilton House Nursery on Montgomery Road and Teddies Childrens Nursery on Kenwood Park Road. After googling these they seem to get good reviews, including from many Sheffield forumers.

I was put off Scallywags by a friend who had some insider knowledge of the nursery as a friend of hers used to work there not too long back. The Ofsted report also didn't read as good as the other 3 in my opinion.

Hopefully one will be suitable and have places for our little one come September.

Thanks for all the recommendations. :)

We looked at lots of nurseries when we moved to the area 18 months ago. We almost chose Hamilton House, Montgomery Road, but ended up choosing Kids Unlimited and Croft Corner for our 2 boys because of location to our house.

Kids Unlimited is a fabulous nursery and our boys loved their time there and made good friends, but it is a private nursery and perhaps more expensive and structured than others.

They are now at croft corner on Dobcroft Road and again have settled in really well there and so far it seems to be a good place!

Thats a shame for your friend. I do know that there were a pile of trainees who had recently qualified and they all wanted to stay on. Scallywags only had a few qualified positions (which is good anyway) so not all of them got the jobs after their training. Sometimes these young staff then get a bit disgruntled. From what I hear, they all went for the jobs so must have enjoyed their time there while training.

Scallywags OFSTED was 'Good' for everything as far as I can see. They also haven't had an inspection since 2009 and their past OFSTEDs are all good too.