Nursery queries and recommendations

Just read these comments. Not sure that I would take the word of a friend who has a friend who used to work somewhere - I would always wonder why they had to leave in this employment climate. As another person said - there were a few trainees who didnt get permanent jobs there at the end of last year/ beginning of this year when they had finished their training. Each one was upset that they couldnt stay on but most nurseries only have a set number of qualified positions to fill at any one time and a few of them did get jobs at Scallywags and could stay on due to more children going there.

I have had 3 children go to Scallywags over the past 10 years. Each one of them has really enjoyed it there. They loved the music with Mary, pre-school is excellent and run by Sarah who has been there for well over my 10 years. So has the manager and several of the other staff. Many of them now have their own children too. The baby unit (where my youngest is) now does baby yoga too. The pre-school room also has a french teacher come in to 'play' in french. It's great. Very flexible on sessions too and they also have dinner in the afternoon so we don't have the rush of 'feeding time' when we get home. We can actually play with them. Our oldest now goes to their holiday club too.

Not every nursery suits every family so visit them all and see how it 'feels' to you and your baby. Good luck

The friend wasn't a trainee at Scallywags. She didn't criticise the care of the children but mentioned some points about organisation that I didn't think sounded great. the Ofsted report is good, but I felt the ones of the 3 we are looking at were better and I just haven't got time to view every nursery in the area. The staff to child ratio at Scallywags was also much higher than the others and I would feel better knowing there are more staff on hand to help with the care of my daughter. These are the reasons behind not looking at Scallywags.

We did consider kidsunlimited, but the location just isn't as good for us and would add about 20 mins to my morning car journey. Shame really as the reviews look really good and the Ofsted report was also very good.

I thought of looking at Kids Unlimited but the price put me off. They were around 50 pounds a day!!

On the staff issue, all nurseries have to stick to particular child ratios. Some will have school kids in helping during their work placement etc but I have heard comments that they don't have anyone under 18 at Scallywags because it can be like having another child in there to supervise. There have been no permenant staff members leaving Scallywags for years so this may be old news of course.

Good luck in your choice.

Thanks for all the suggestions guys, we have now secured a place at Teddies Nursery on Kenwood Park Road. We were really impressed with the set-up there and think our little one will be very happy. :)

I would urge anyone whom is interested in a nursery to visit it for yourself. Other people have different views/Likes/Dislikes.

Visit the nursery of choice Kidsunlimited 0845 365 2931.

My son goes to Osborne House Community Nursery, in Minto Road, Hillsborough. It's fabulous. Caring staff and lots of information for parents on child development and what they've been up to. Very convenient: near the tram stop and shops. And they have their own cook who makes great food for the kids and even dairy-free stuff for mine (he's allergic to dairy)... It's also a charity.

Jo'Jo's Childminding, im an ofsted registered female childminder based in Wales Sheffield S26, im available to childmind all children from 0-16 years call me to discuss further 07545075393

find me on facebook copy the below link:

http://www.facebook.com/#!/jojos.childminding.3

I cant recommend highly enough Hydro Tots Nursery in Ecclesfield as my child goes there , they have an Outstanding Ofsted report, the staff that work there are always really lovely and helpful and my son is settled and extremely happy

Little Feet Nursery In Dronfield has just opened and is absolutly amazing inside and out! x

Just got offered places for my little ones at the city college nursery, has anybody had any experience with this place and let me know whether it's a good place to send them.

Tinsley Children's Centre Nursery.. Outstanding OFSTED.. 0114 2448885