Hillsborough Shops Of The Past

Hello Bazza

Yes I remember Herretts now was opposite to my Dad`s shop, a little to the left.

I remember looking across from our shop around Christmas and the queues outside Kelseys were horrendous.

Interesting you worked at Wiggies. I worked at Woolworths in 1964 when I was at school, filling shelves up and crushing cardboard boxes upstairs, boring work but the shop girls were fun.

I was filling a shelf one day dressed in my Ernest Garnett lookalike overall when a large woman with an even larger hat said to me " excuse me young man " " Do you know where I can get felt " .............

Hi Harvey,

Drawn a blank at Harry Brindley. My Mum seems to rememeber more about the shops than the residents.

She told me she took me to see the Misses Kay when I was baby wrapped in a sparkling white shawl.

Now, the sisters spent all early morning sorting out the newspapers, and by 10 a.m. their hands were as black as Harry Belefonte`s, my mothers cringes now, at the memory of Clarice saying " Oh isn`t he lovely, let me hold him "................

Hi Harvey,

Drawn a blank at Harry Brindley. My Mum seems to rememeber more about the shops than the residents.

She told me she took me to see the Misses Kay when I was baby wrapped in a sparkling white shawl.

Now, the sisters spent all early morning sorting out the newspapers, and by 10 a.m. their hands were as black as Harry Belefonte`s, my mothers cringes now, at the memory of Clarice saying " Oh isn`t he lovely, let me hold him "................

Thanks anyhow.

Does anyone know if how to post photos on this site? I took several of the shops on the weekend.

Does anyone know if how to post photos on this site? I took several of the shops on the weekend.
Hi Paul - you can upload them to an image hosting site - I use photobucket.com - and then post links. Here is a sample: http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u219/twigmore/Barometer.jpg. By the way I've sent you a Prrivate Message. Edited by hillsbro

Hi Paul - you can upload them to an image hosting site - I use photobucket.com - and then post links. Here is a sample: http://i169.photobucket.com/albums/u219/twigmore/Barometer.jpg. By the way I've sent you a Prrivate Message.

Thanks Philip, I will give it a go this weekend. I have replied to your message. Thanks Paul

...Here is a sketch-plan of the shop as far as I recall. The barber's chair naturally faced the mirror and sink which was on the back wall....
"Chair for victim" - I like it! :hihi:.:hihi:.:hihi:

...And he would poke your head with the pointed end of his scissors if he wanted you to turn....
Yes - Ernie Garnett also used to cut my hair, and I remember feeling the sharp end of his scissors!.:(

My friend and myself were talking about the shops in Hillsborough, we were both born in 1944 and lived in Hillsborough. But we couldn't remember the name of the Tobacconists at the corner of I not sure whether it is Brier St or Rosalle St. We would live to know.

My friend and myself were talking about the shops in Hillsborough, we were both born in 1944 and lived in Hillsborough. But we couldn't remember the name of the Tobacconists at the corner of I not sure whether it is Brier St or Rosalle St. We would live to know.

Post 352 answers the question.

Quote: I was born at 99 Langsett Ave in 1938.I remember being anaesthetised in 1948 by asphyxiation at a dental surgery run by Hilton-Tapp on the corner of Middlewood Rd and ? Minto Rd.

I remember in what must be 1954/5 being taking into Hillborough by my Mum, she wouldnt tell me where we were going, but she let me wear my new Whitsuntide sandles, so it must have been a 'Special' day. It was, she took me to Hilton-Tapps. I remember going upstairs to this treatment room, and screaming the place down!, He then yelled at the dental nurse to sedate me, and she gave me a large capsule and some water and ordered me to swallow it. There then followed a heated disscussion between my Mum and the Dentist, and he threw us out! We never did go back there again. After that it was the Dental hospital for us.

Hilton-Tapps?you would have been better at Talbots.