The York, Broomhill, what do you think?

What should the York in Broomhill offer to the area  

499 members have voted

1. 1. What should the York in Broomhill offer to the area

• A Traditional and well run local Pub that caters for all ages 18 upwards
    • Cask Ales and aim to become a great addition to the Real Ale circuit
    • Continental bottled lagers and not just 'Carlsberg' + 'Heineken'
    • Excellent range of fine wines and not 'normal' pub plonk
    • Old fashioned vinyl jukebox (very unique now)
    • Classic Pinball machines
    • ZONED areas catering for students and non students
    • Live Music
    • DJ based Events
    • Dartboard
    • Pool table
    • restoration of original features of the interior
    • 'Chalkboards' as traditional Pub wall menus/offer displays
    • traditional pub table and stools
    • 'Comfortable' area with sofas
    • 'Juke box free' zone at one end of the Pub
    • Removal of all leftover O'Neills fittings, ie ceiling boarding, fake coving, etc
    • Classic Space invaders machine (sit down version)
    • Weekly Music and/or general knowledge quizzes

goldenfleece - as a publican can you answer me a question - you know how the fox and duck have that thing at dinnertime where you can take in your own food and eat it on their plates?

Do you have to have a special licesnse for that? or is it something that any pub could do? cos it seems like a really good idea to me, I often go in with my friends at dinner time when we woudn't normally go to a pub, so we can eat our dinners there. I just wondered why more pubs dont do it?

goldenfleece - as a publican can you answer me a question - you know how the fox and duck have that thing at dinnertime where you can take in your own food and eat it on their plates?

Do you have to have a special licesnse for that? or is it something that any pub could do? cos it seems like a really good idea to me, I often go in with my friends at dinner time when we woudn't normally go to a pub, so we can eat our dinners there. I just wondered why more pubs dont do it?

I am sure you don't need any regulated authority approval for people to bring in their own food, since the Pub will not be preparing or serving it.

It is a good idea if the Pub does not serve its own food, and its only the Fox and Duck that seems to do this, although we at the Dove allow people to bring in food too although we don't supply plates and cutlery.

I have been reading through the posts and a couple of things I find intriguing are

there is a poll for what the public of Broomhill want in there pub and yet apparently and please correct me if I am wrong but you have already decided to alienate certain things from the pub and certain "types" of people from the pub, so what is the poll actually for?

Is this just a customer relations excercise to give the regulars the idea that you actually care what they want?

Or if the poll shows that the customers actually want something even though you disagree with them, would you actually give in to them?

prey tell goldenfleece...

I have been reading through the posts and a couple of things I find intriguing are

there is a poll for what the public of Broomhill want in there pub and yet apparently and please correct me if I am wrong but you have already decided to alienate certain things from the pub and certain "types" of people from the pub, so what is the poll actually for?

Is this just a customer relations excercise to give the regulars the idea that you actually care what they want?

Or if the poll shows that the customers actually want something even though you disagree with them, would you actually give in to them?

prey tell goldenfleece...

I have not decided to "alienate " anyone, as you put it, but create a pub that appeals to far more sections of the community than it currently does. The fact remains that certain groups of people may no longer wish to drink in the York as we are not going to be a discount cheap beer pub anymore. Those people will probably prefer to migrate to one of the alternative Scream pubs, but they have alienated themselves if this is the case as I have made it clear that all well behaved people are welcome. The only people I am aware of that this effects are those who wish to continue to pay £1 a pint and use their yellow cards, and that will be their choice to drink elsewhere.

The poll is just to narrow down a few considerations. Popular opinion is always important, if 99% of people wanted a dartboard I would provide one, not ignore it....

Ok then Goldenfleece thanks for clearing that up

If 99% of people wanted the £1 a pint would you keep that going too

just wondering

ha ha:D.....I did not put that in as an option as :

1) Its impossible to sell beer at £1 and make a profit

2) Its now considered in general to be 'irresponsible retailing' under the Licensing Objectives.

Ok goldenfleece that is a very good and responsible answer.

well then as it is against the law to serve drunks, and bearing in mind that anyone who has drunk over 2 pints is considered to be too drunk to drive

what would be the cut off point in one of your pubs for serving people an *amount* of alcohol..............................as a responsible retailer

just wondering

Ok goldenfleece that is a very good and responsible answer.

well then as it is against the law to serve drunks, and bearing in mind that anyone who has drunk over 2 pints is considered to be too drunk to drive

what would be the cut off point in one of your pubs for serving people an *amount* of alcohol..............................as a responsible retailer

just wondering

thats leagal statute though

i'm 6ft 2/3 inches tall, could easily have 3/4 pints without acting drunk, or looking remotely ******

i wouldn't get near a car mind.

its the responsability of the landlord, and their opinion really.

the legal statue for drink driving has no bearing on the publican trade.

if memory serves.

it is still illegal to serve a drunk, so what is drunk and how many drinks does it take for someone to reach that point

would they say serve someone 10 pints over the night or would they refuse after 5

just wondering

Experienced staff can spot someone who has reached their natural limits....its easy to see...yes some can drink 10 pints and be sober as a judge, but many can;t do that many...there are obvious signs when someone has had enough, and then, enough is enough......