The York, Broomhill, what do you think?

What should the York in Broomhill offer to the area  

499 members have voted

1. 1. What should the York in Broomhill offer to the area

• A Traditional and well run local Pub that caters for all ages 18 upwards
    • Cask Ales and aim to become a great addition to the Real Ale circuit
    • Continental bottled lagers and not just 'Carlsberg' + 'Heineken'
    • Excellent range of fine wines and not 'normal' pub plonk
    • Old fashioned vinyl jukebox (very unique now)
    • Classic Pinball machines
    • ZONED areas catering for students and non students
    • Live Music
    • DJ based Events
    • Dartboard
    • Pool table
    • restoration of original features of the interior
    • 'Chalkboards' as traditional Pub wall menus/offer displays
    • traditional pub table and stools
    • 'Comfortable' area with sofas
    • 'Juke box free' zone at one end of the Pub
    • Removal of all leftover O'Neills fittings, ie ceiling boarding, fake coving, etc
    • Classic Space invaders machine (sit down version)
    • Weekly Music and/or general knowledge quizzes

My customers include plenty of students, and I can assure you that real ale is alive and kicking in the student community and sales are growing a very fast rate indeed nationally. I defend totally the plan to bring more cask ales to Broomhill, because in my direct experience, students are a large part of this market these days.

Considering the popularity of the Union's annual real ale festival, and as an ex-student, I'd say that's correct. If presented with the choice between boring lager and a reasonably priced ale, it's normally ale all the way for many people I've known. There's also generally a difference in student drinkers - the bar-crawling dance-clubbers don't tend to be real ale types - more lager and spirits. However, most people who care about the taste of what they're drinking like ale. When I've hosted student parties in the past, the next day has involved a lot of throwing away of real ale bottles :)

Also: you doing any good ciders at the York? I always love having Old Rosie at the Dove, and I tried some awesome ones at the beer fest last week. And, in terms of real ale, is there a chance of getting any Everards beers at the Dove/York? I've only had one of theirs on tap in Sheffield (Sunchaser), and it was pretty divine!

Also: you doing any good ciders at the York? I always love having Old Rosie at the Dove, and I tried some awesome ones at the beer fest last week. And, in terms of real ale, is there a chance of getting any Everards beers at the Dove/York? I've only had one of theirs on tap in Sheffield (Sunchaser), and it was pretty divine!

yes, we will be having ADDLESTONES on draught, plus some good bottled offerings too. Old Rosie is not on the list for the York regret to say.....but Addlestones is always generally a superb alternative....

Have to agree with you about students and real ale...there were loads at the Beer festival last week, and all being very discriminating about their drinking and not just chucking it down their necks and wobbling off to a party....

and certainly at the Dove students in general buy cask ales and not keg products......if students are a microcosm of the whole UK, then real ale is, as the stats confirm, massively on the increase......

EVERARDS: We have had EQUINOX and SUNCHASER in the last year, Equinox only last week I think, and there will be more to come.....

I would definitly pay £3.50+ for a pint of paulener munchen or any other nice german/dutch/czech beers. If a student bum like me is prepared to pay top dolla for a pint then i'm sure the majority of broomhill residents would do too.

I've had paulener munchen in england from a few places and it tastes great, although I have not had it abroad so cannot compare.

If you can get in a few more premium lagers then i'm sure it would go down a treat with customers. If you cater for all tastes then there's no reason why the York can't become the best god damn pub in broom hill.

If you can get in a few more premium lagers then i'm sure it would go down a treat with customers. If you cater for all tastes then there's no reason why the York can't become the best god damn pub in broom hill.

I can say for sure I will put on Paulener Munchen draught, others may follow but

until I know exactly what is being replaced (whole bar being totally redone) I cant say for sure how many.

We aim to cater for all tastes, and I can can promise you we will work hard to try and make it as you say above....great products, our friendly staff, good environment, all should come together......

I am not certain for sure when the final public night as a Scream Pub will be, the absolute latest date will be Monday 20th Oct (as we take full possession the next morning), assuming they have not run out of beer...but go down for that, and then when we re-open on 31st, and you just may be able to tell the difference!!!!!!:)

Plenty of other good lagers you can get - will you be considering rotating a premium lager as with your ales?

One I'd like to see on is Baltika - had it in the West End for a while, but it's disappeared.

As for premium prices, you may find that people who're out will pay it for a different taste, even if it's just a pint or two, as long as it's unique to the area and good quality. I suspect most won't take it all night - but that's really not the point with premium lagers anyway.

Ade

• 2 weeks later...