Do Fletchers still make bread ?

Changing the topic ever so slightly, but still about bread and bakeries, what happened to Gunstone's bakery? They were a Sheffield firm at the bottom of Duke St and as I recall, one of Fletcher's main competitors? The workers put on Christmas pantomimes for the kids. I remember going to one and it was a lot like the old radio show "Workers' Playtime," with slapstick humor and in jokes about the foremen and bosses. A good time had by all.

It is now owned by Northern Foods.The bakery is at Stubley Lane in Dronfield.

Think they produce own label goods for supermarkets etc.

Changing the topic ever so slightly, but still about bread and bakeries, what happened to Gunstone's bakery? They were a Sheffield firm at the bottom of Duke St and as I recall, one of Fletcher's main competitors? The workers put on Christmas pantomimes for the kids. I remember going to one and it was a lot like the old radio show "Workers' Playtime," with slapstick humor and in jokes about the foremen and bosses. A good time had by all.

Gunstones bakery is situated in Dronfield where it has been for many years now.

• 5 months later...

In April 1999, Northern Foods bought the whole of Fletchers Bakery on Clay Wheels Lane.

(Previously they held a 25 percent stake)

Northern Foods were trying to sell Fletchers when a cooling system started sparking and then exploded into flames on the Sunday morning of 16 July 2006, totally destroying about one third of the factory.

In January of 2007, Fletchers was aquired by an investment firm called Vision Capital.

Have Fletchers ever made bread?

They certainly have. It was very popular in the sixties, despite being quite expensive. Up to a couple of years ago they still supplied British Forces Overseas and the Falkland Islands with bread under the Fletchers label.

At the same time they supplied supermarkets, particularly Tesco, with bread under the supermarket's own label. I think that all sliced bread production has stopped now.

Increased sales of toast immediately after the fire are just malicious rumours.