5 yr old charged £1.25 on 53 bus

My partner has just been asked to pay a bus fare of £1.25 for our little girl who has just turned 5 - travelling from the bus station on Stagecoach No 53. I thought young people needed passes to prove they aren't 16 years old and liable for an adult fare. She paid 40p for her on the city bound journey. Can anyone put me right here?

My partner has just been asked to pay a bus fare of £1.25 for our little girl who has just turned 5 - travelling from the bus station on Stagecoach No 53. I thought young people needed passes to prove they aren't 16 years old and liable for an adult fare. She paid 40p for her on the city bound journey. Can anyone put me right here?
I think you have answered your own question there although I would have thought a bit of common sense (by your partner and the driver) would have sorted this out. You sure your partner hasn't pinched the 85p and spent it on sweets? :loopy:

I think its kids aged between 12 and 16 that have to show a pass.

I`d ring the bus company and complain, thats not right.

Well i can tell you there is no ruling that gives children the right to travel on buses for 40p or half fare or any other fare than full fare, within South Yorkshire the sypte have a scheme that allows children to travel for 40p then the bus companies claim a 'make up' from sypte the criteria being a valid pass is shown for those between 11-16, it seems very strange to me that a 5yo was asked to pay £1.25 but there again a Stagecoach service 53 i imagine is a Chesterfield service therefore its Derbyshire county council territory and children in Derbyshire pay half fare, although within the South Yorkshire area children should be entitled to travel for child fare, maybe the driver forgot to charge the child fare, or maybe Chesterfield do not acknowledge the child 40p fare in South Yorkshire, if its a major problem you could speak to someone at Chesterfield depot.

Kids have to have a pass between 11 and 16 years if they dont show it they are liable for full fare.

I never had a problem paying 40p for our daughter when she was under 11

sounds like you were overcharged to me.

I know it sounds very silly, but if the driver had been working a long shift its very possible he made a mistake and didn't register how young the child was. I imagine it would have been best for your partner to say something at the time...

possibly a momentary slip on the driver's part, and charged the little one the "cross-boundary" fare, rather than the "inside SYPTE boundary" fare.

Contact the company. with the details of the journey and the ticket, they should be able to look into it for you.

I know it sounds very silly, but if the driver had been working a long shift its very possible he made a mistake and didn't register how young the child was. I imagine it would have been best for your partner to say something at the time...

Theres a big difference between a 5yr old and 11yr old. The driver could`ve benn working for a week but still would know the difference.

No bus driver in his right mind would think a five year old could possibly be 16. I honestly think some of them are just on a bit of a power trip and enjoy enforcing these pass rules.

That said some teenagers do try it on by claiming to have forgotten a pass.

Next time, says that she's four.

Sorted.

Which service 53 is this stagecoach or first