Been offered npower deal?

Has anyone been offered a deal on the doorstep recently to switch to npower with fixed price for 3 years and £80 cash back each year? Has anyone had this deal and happy with it? Would anyone recommend it?

I doubt its mcuh of a deal as the people trying to sell you it will be on commission, if you do switch check it out on uswitch or similar and switch using a cashback site like quidco.

Thanks for that advice. My instinct tells me, if it's a "today only offer" "face to face" and there's no paperwork, you just sign, then get paperwork in the post, that it can't be that good of a deal.

I had a nasty experience some years ago when an NPower rep called at my door.

The figures seemed good and then he mentioned that I would get even more discount if I paid through Direct Debit....I usually read my meter every week, work out what I owe and paid it on a payment card.....so I gave him all my old bills and we worked out an affordable plan.

All was well for the first couple of months and then I received notification that the D/D was being increased - to an amount I couldn't afford...there were other complications with this too. It transpired that the seller had taken my bills and from them fabricated an attractive amount to get my business.

The dispute with them continued for about 6 months in which time I put the money I had agreed to pay initially every month to one side until a settlement was achieved.

In the end I paid them nothing - they not only wrote the whole amount off as a goodwill gesture but they gave me compensation too.....result....and I then immediately changed to another provider.

So my advice here is beware of people knocking on your door and offering brilliant deals....because it may not be all it seems. :)

Yeah dont bother, just turn them away. I worked for them a few years back as a door to door rep and made as much as £1800 pw on commision, spouting everything you wanted to hear and preying on the weak. I got out when the manager was arrested for fraud.

The deal you've been offered is called Fixed 2011. You pay 7% above the current standard tariff and you get the £80 back for being a dual fuel direct debit customer. Whether you chose to accept a fixed deal off NPower is up to you, but you, or anyone for that matter, really should be looking a capping your prices for as long as you can, given the current predictions for further increases. PM me if you want to tariff's on what you will be paying until 2011.

I would never agree to anything over the phone or on the doorstep. They are always so reluctant to give me their terms in writing and allow me to sit down, read them at my leisure and get back to them if I want to. Thats because once I have looked at the smallprint I usually put it in the bin.

I recently had a phone call from HSBC offering me a great new interest rate plus various benefits for only £25 a month. I told the bloke on the phone that I'd get back to him after doing the maths, and to be fair he wasn't pushy or aggressive or anything, but it was only after sitting down and doing the sums properly that I saw what a crummy and worthless product they were trying to sell me.

The deal you've been offered is called Fixed 2011. You pay 7% above the current standard tariff and you get the £80 back for being a dual fuel direct debit customer. Whether you chose to accept a fixed deal off NPower is up to you, but you, or anyone for that matter, really should be looking a capping your prices for as long as you can, given the current predictions for further increases. PM me if you want to tariff's on what you will be paying until 2011.

Funny that she never mentioned that bit in bold to me! In fact she said that they would put me on a REDUCED rate! She said it would be less than I was paying now with E-ON.

In the meantime I spoke to someone with NPower who is having loads of problems and wouldn't touch them again with a bargepole, so that helped me make my mind up too.

Many thanks for all the helpful advice on this thread. I guess I should seriously shop around, to avoid paying through the nose.

Yeah dont bother, just turn them away. I worked for them a few years back as a door to door rep and made as much as £1800 pw on commision, spouting everything you wanted to hear and preying on the weak. I got out when the manager was arrested for fraud.

I wonder if it was your manager who manipulated my usage to get my custom?

In my case it worked out in my favour because I stuck to my guns and said that I was tricked into signing up....I even did my own breakdown and sent copies of previous bills to show that something funny was going on. They obviously realised they hadn't got a leg to stand on....so I ended up with free electric for the whole time I was in dispute (about 6 months)....and about £150 in compensation.

I do apologise if you subsequently visited where I live and I offered to drop you off the balcony :hihi:

I wonder if it was your manager was the one who manipulated my usage to get my custom?

In my case it worked out in my favour because I stuck to my guns and said that I was tricked into signing up....I even did my own breakdown and sent copies of previous bills to show that something funny was going on. They obviously realised they hadn't got a leg to stand on....so I ended up with free electric for the whole time I was in dispute (about 6 months)....and about £150 in compensation.

I do apologise if you subsequently visited where I live and I offered to drop you off the balcony :hihi:

No apologies required, I probably signed up your house anyway and listed it as an empty boarded up one and got £60 for my troubles.