Are funds for children with special needs being cut in Sheffield?

My god this makes my blood boil, i will certainly be finding out who my MP is at shall be writing a very strong worded letter!!!

The jist of it all is that special needs statements for kids in a mainstream school will be reduced, in so far as they will be given ,we think 3 terms of support and when that has gone, they will be integrated in to class with all the other kids.

Right so basically they have found a cure then?? as this level of support is no longer require...........what a load of tosh.

Most mainstream schools (with or without an IR Unit) intergrate the children with a statement into M/S classes anyway?? My daughter attends a school with an IR unit and the children with an IR place are intergrated for 90% of the day, it works really well !!! the children with additional needs are having there needs met, so there it doesnt effect any of they other children. My daughter doesnt have a statement, and so far is managing ok on school action plus, so what happens to children like her them??

We all know however that teachers often struggle with classes of 30 kids as it is and if they have to deal with autistic or hearing impaired kids along side all the others, they will be under more pressure.Also, the other ordinary kids will be affected in that the quality of their teaching will be diluted as the teachers have to increasingly cope with the issues that the special needs kids have, and have to give more time to those children as they do need that help.

This is the part that gets my goat more than anything, teachers are under a hugh amount of pressure and the training is almost zero!!

You can imagine in a classroom situation this will be a create. Whichever child shouts the loudest!! which child is the most disruptive!! now these children may well have SEN and are only disruptive due to there needs not being supported, but what this will do is create a divide between parents. Most peoples knowledge on special needs is limited enough as it is

I know that it will help kids to understand that other kids with a disability have a need which is sometimes greater than theirs and that is good, but without the effective training, I do not see how the teachers are prepared..

I dont think that it would even have this benefit to honest, after all if the child with SEN is to be left unsupported, most NT children would not be able to past it, all they would see was a poorly behavied child. Its Certainly a fantastic way of raise awareness isnt it :loopy::mad:

Espadrille

Please keep us all informed if and when there will be another meeting regarding this as i really need to show my support. Like you have said this will effect all children with or without special needs.

My god this makes my blood boil, i will certainly be finding out who my MP is at shall be writing a very strong worded letter!!!

Right so basically they have found a cure then?? as this level of support is no longer require...........what a load of tosh.

Most mainstream schools (with or without an IR Unit) intergrate the children with a statement into M/S classes anyway?? My daughter attends a school with an IR unit and the children with an IR place are intergrated for 90% of the day, it works really well !!! the children with additional needs are having there needs met, so there it doesnt effect any of they other children. My daughter doesnt have a statement, and so far is managing ok on school action plus, so what happens to children like her them??

This is the part that gets my goat more than anything, teachers are under a hugh amount of pressure and the training is almost zero!!

You can imagine in a classroom situation this will be a create. Whichever child shouts the loudest!! which child is the most disruptive!! now these children may well have SEN and are only disruptive due to there needs not being supported, but what this will do is create a divide between parents. Most peoples knowledge on special needs is limited enough as it is

I dont think that it would even have this benefit to honest, after all if the child with SEN is to be left unsupported, most NT children would not be able to past it, all they would see was a poorly behavied child. Its Certainly a fantastic way of raise awareness isnt it :loopy::mad:

Espadrille

Please keep us all informed if and when there will be another meeting regarding this as i really need to show my support. Like you have said this will effect all children with or without special needs.

Yes.we are now in the process of setting up The Autism Alliance to fight the cause, so to speak, but it may now be too little too late to affect these proposals for kids from September

This makes me so angry too. My son did not receive the right support when he was in mainstream and could not cope. He was perceived as naughty by the other children who did not have any understanding of his problems as they were 5 and 6! When my son had the support he needed he coped reasonably well but he did not get all the support he needed and that we had been promised. How on earth do the powers that be think that taking away support will benefit anyone??? Sometimes I feel that people who are responsible for our children's education just can't grasp the complex needs some may have. The idea of taking children out of IRs and special schools after a certain amount of time and put into their local mainstream school seems cruel at best, as does providing support for some of the time and then stopping it! Should it not be what is best for the child? It seems so unfair on everyone - the children, the teachers, the parents. I have already written to my MP regarding support for children in mainstream school and will most certainly be writing again.

This makes me so angry too. My son did not receive the right support when he was in mainstream and could not cope. He was perceived as naughty by the other children who did not have any understanding of his problems as they were 5 and 6! When my son had the support he needed he coped reasonably well but he did not get all the support he needed and that we had been promised. How on earth do the powers that be think that taking away support will benefit anyone??? Sometimes I feel that people who are responsible for our children's education just can't grasp the complex needs some may have. The idea of taking children out of IRs and special schools after a certain amount of time and put into their local mainstream school seems cruel at best, as does providing support for some of the time and then stopping it! Should it not be what is best for the child? It seems so unfair on everyone - the children, the teachers, the parents. I have already written to my MP regarding support for children in mainstream school and will most certainly be writing again.

Good We need more of us to do this please

I called 2 schools with integrated resouce for specil needs recently only to be told that they were closing down!

Was this in Sheffield were they primary or senior schools espadrille??

Id really like to know which schools they were, PM me if you would prefer.

No apart from the ones posted on this thread.My concern is that al kids will be affected as I know a little boy with As who is very demanding and I know that most of his Mums time is taken up with answering his questions.As she is also a teacher she knows how hard it can be to have a kid like this in the class as he will definitely get the attention he needs ,but where will this leave the other kids?